CAULKING:: Should I caulk along here?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

brianginaz

I'm re doing the caulking and came across this bathroom window situation. My first thought is to not caulk this part (it's already not caulked) but I wanted to see what others thought: (see pics)

Greg

It should have been caulked. I think I would try pulling the trim off and check behind them. You could be opening a can of worms if there is, but it would be better to take care of it now rather than wait until severe damage occurs.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
yakima4$

Window should of been caulked at top,sides and bottom between window and trim.
Allowing water in at the above locations will hold water in contact with trim and siding and eventually rot out siding and trim.
brianginaz

Looking at the pic.... are those even the right size windows? This is a palm Harbor... but it looks like the windows were made for a 2X6 exterior wall due to how much stick out there is... the walls are actually 2X4...
Mark440

Whew! What a bad install!

I think I would pull the whole thing out - determine what the heck keeps it from fitting flush, then re-install or replace. Just caulking around the protrusion is gonna take a boat load of caulking - and it will be difficult to get a thorough seal all the way around.

Also, the trim on the outside needs to be caulked to the siding. Latex (paintable) caulking is dirt cheap - and it can prevent hundreds of dollars in damage and repairs.
Opportunity has a shelf life.