Metal Roofover tutorial?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

romdos11

I have a 1996 Skyline with a peaked roof, and I'm wanting to do a metal roofover using furring strips and foam insulation. Does anyone know if there is any kind of step by step tutorial for this procedure? Thanks in advance!
Greg

Check the articles section of the site. Mark has a short article on doing a domed roof but a peaked would be very similar.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
romdos11

Thanks Greg...I quickly glanced at my Mobile Home Repair manual first and Chapter 11 was for a domed roof so I posted here then when I saw so many people referring to it, I went back and looked at it closer and saw that it has most of the info I need. I would recommend it heartily...it has already saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars since I downloaded it around the time I joined here.
My main question is/was how to do the eaves and gables. Also there seems to a lot of ambiguity on how to deal with condensation. I have seen some youtube videos where they put 3/4" insulation between the furring strips and then the method in the manual where they put thinner folding insulation below the strips.
It seems to me that putting the roofing right on top of the strips with insulation filling the rest of the space would decrease the amount of air up there (it would only be flowing under the ribs) Then there's the question of closure foam...wouldn't that decrease air flow and increase condensation buildup?
Greg

Since you have a pitched roof, you could screw either a 2x4 or 2x6 to the truss add your insulation and still have air space for ventilation. Extend the 2x past your existing roof edge to make your eaves. Vents can be added in the soffet and ridge.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."