wood help..

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I finally built my new 'fake beam' to cover the marriage line in the cieling

I had to build it in 2 pieces to go all the way across, and now im needing something to fill in the line where the 2 pieces meet. I was going to use wood putty but i think i need something that will stay a little flexible because they will move a little since they are just butted up to eachother but not fastened to eachother. Any ideas on what i could use that i can also sand and paint over so it will look like one continuous beam?
Jim from Canada

A bit late in the game, but a butt joint is hard to conceal. If the pieces met with a mitre cut it would have been easier. Not sure how I would contend with the hard edges you have created. If you are painting it perhaps some latex caulking.
Greg

Printable caulk, or make a tie plate out of wood or metal 8-10" long and cover the joint with that. You could use brass screws to give it a more decorative look.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mopower440

Greg wrote:Printable caulk, or make a tie plate out of wood or metal 8-10" long and cover the joint with that. You could use brass screws to give it a more decorative look.

Greg
Greg, what do you mean by tie plate?
Greg

Just a plate to cover the joint.

Greg

http://www.fauxwoodbeams.com/beams_straps.php
mopower440

As bad as i hate to, i just went and bought longer wood to redo it at one solid length..really hate to take this down but it bothers me..I did a real good job building these but..
mopower440

My dilemma now is how do i get it down without messing up the ceiling or the beam? I want to save it to use in the hallway as its the right length. i used 16 gayge nails and a nail gun and nailed it accross the top into the 2x6 that was on the ceiling over the marriage line..HELP!!
Greg

You can either use a wonder bar and gently pull it apart a little at a time or use a small punch or nail and drive the nails through the board. No easy way, nail guns are great for putting things together, not so much for coming apart.

Greg
mopower440

Greg wrote:You can either use a wonder bar and gently pull it apart a little at a time or use a small punch or nail and drive the nails through the board. No easy way, nail guns are great for putting things together, not so much for coming apart.

Greg
what is a wonder bar?
I thought about trying to punch the nails all the way through but it will never work, the punch will just keep slipping off the small nail heads and wallow the holes out bigger and bigger..Man, i got to get it off somehow without destroying it all..
UmpJJ

I'd go back an explore Greg's idea of a plate or strap to cover the seam. Might even put a couple more straps spaced apart along the beam so as not to draw attention to where the real seam really is. Nice rustic look!
Oh, and the Wonder Bar? Big box store search....they're around $10.

UmpJJ
Greg

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-Wonder ... ar/1207635

There are several variations but this style seems to work for me.

Greg
mopower440

ok, new problem. I got the full length one built and tried it out. The ceiling at one end is not level, you cant see it with your eye, but there is a 3/4 inch gap between the ceiling and the new beam about the last foot of the ceiling. How do i fill a gap that big? Thats why when i had the 2 peice up, there was a bigger gap at the bottom than the top where the 2 peices met, because i had the smaller section pushed up against the ceiling so that gap wouldnt be there.. so now, i have that gap between the ceiling and the beam for about a foot. I traded a gap between the 2 separate pieces for a gap between the beam and ceiling (in the last foot) , Now, how do i fill that gap? Too much for caulking...
Greg

I think I would use some spray foam insulation. Spray it and let it harden, cut the excess off with a sharp knife and then use paintable caulk to smooth it off. If you have never used foam before it is sticky, USE GLOVES. You may want to use masking tape on the ceiling, it sticks to what ever it touches.

Greg
mopower440

ahh, makes me mad. i wish i would have just left up the first one i made. It would have been easier filling in that small line where the 2 pieces met (like in my pic above) rather than an inch gap between the cieling and beam..for that last foot..