can i do this?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

You know those thin strips on the ceiling that cover up the seams where the ceiling panels meet? What i want to do is make nice beams to go around them and i found the idea on the internet on another mobile home site but it wont let me copy the pictures, but what i want to do is
1. router a groove in 2x4's and screw them up over the factory strips in the ceiling
2. nail a nice painted 1x4 to the 2x4
3. split 1x6 down the center and nail on each side of the 2x4.

would this be too heavy though? I have 2x3 trusses. here is a link to the post where they did this, you will have to scroll down a little to see it..
http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/24 ... inyl-walls
Norm Frechette

you can get styrofoam ones for less weight

mopower440

Norm Frechette wrote:you can get styrofoam ones for less weight

If I wanted to build them like in the post though would it be ok or too much weight? where do you get the Styrofoam ones?
Greg

Many home centers have the foam, or since I like real wood I would find some rough cut and rip it in half to thinner strips to save weight.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mopower440

ok, Styrofoam fake beams are WAAAAY too expensive, so that's out of the question.. As fas as building them like on the post that I linked above, they seemed to be fine for those people, do you think the extra weight would bother anything? It wouldn't be real heavy, but heavy enough between screwing the routed 2x4 over the factory strips, then nailing a finished 1x4 over that and then ripping a 1x6 and using those on each side of it..
Greg

You should be fine weight wise. My thoughts with the thin strips is ease of working with.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."