window replacement help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Shane102

Bought 4 acres with 1976 Glenbrook double wide, 1400 sq ft. Home will be used as a rental. The windows are all loose inside the frames. The window framing that is attached to the opening is solid but where the actual glass sits in the window frame is loose. I can push on it and it moves back and forth and when I slide the windows open or close they are loose in the slide channels.

Need to replace them or fix them? What are some ideas to do this. Should I replace the whole window with new? Or can I replace the seal that goes around the outside edge of the glass that rides and seals in the frame channels.

Every window in home needs replaced or fixed.

Thanks for any help.
Greg

It sounds like they are the original Aluminum frame windows. If so about the only thing they are good for is scrap metal. Most of us here replace them with a quality double hung window. I personally like to go slightly larger than what is now there, It makes it easier to open the hole up slightly rather than try to find something to fill the gap.
Due to the age of the home, Plan on replacing the window frames also. You will most likely find some are rotted.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I replaced all of my windows via special order at HD. There was no extra charge for the sizing or the special order. They are vinyl, have held up very well, and cut my utilities by almost half. The old junk single panes popped out easily after removing the trim, and the new ones slid into place with minimal shimming. Before I screwed them down, I used enough caulk to seal the Titanic around the inside of the fin/lip. Slid them in and screwed them down. I have zero leaks.

That said - none of the inside faux casing worked. I replaced all of it with real 3/4" wood casing. Also replaced all the trim around every window. Looks like real windows now.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Shane102

what will I need to do to replace the window framing. Is it an actual wood frame attached to the wall studs? Will I need to take the siding off?
Greg

The frames should be 2x. You will need to open up the wall to get to them. If you have metal siding it may be easier to work from the outside. I recommend screwing the frames in place since you don't have to pound nails in and shake the wall.
DCP02393.JPG
DCP02395.JPG
DCP02396.JPG
DCP02397.JPG
DCP02400 (WinCE).JPG
DCP02399-3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevieb

Between Mark and Gregg you have answered most of my questions. I say most because I have 4
30 x 70 aluminum frame windows on the front of my home. We bought this home new and it was called a walk in bay. Each window is separated by a 2x4 or whatever size studs were used. The window bottoms do open but we never use them. It is probably time to replace them. My questions are as follows:
(Sorry for hijacking this post)
The wood frames are all good including the sills. I removed a piece of paneling on the bottom inside and the wood is not rotted.
So.......you say HD is good to order from?
Is the rough opening size minus the thin paneling they use to cover the 2x4?
We are NOT interested in having these windows open and do you think a 1 piece window replacement for 30 x 70 is possible? I guess I should ask them that question.
Is putty tape a suitable product to use to put around the opening on the metal siding (verticle) I also thought of using stainless screws to secure the new windows. Is there a trim piece that covers the screws?
Thanks in advance
Steve
Greg

Steve, the rough opening size is width & height. You will need to make what ever size sills & interior trim that you need. Not a hard job.
I would stay with the 4 windows, My fear is that the wall studs are for roof support and removing them could compromise that.
Outside trim covers whatever fasteners you use.
Personally I would only have windows that open, and they may cost less.

Greg
UmpJJ

If you have a Window World in your area, they'll come out and do all the measurements, make the window to fit, and install it for you. Can't get much easier than that. I did a couple windows myself that were "stock" sizes, but had a couple that had to be "custom" sizes. Window World to the rescue - at reasonable prices for a double hung vinyl window.

UmpJJ
stevieb

Thank You both for your info. I agree Greg about the 4 seperate windows. And perhaps rethink them opening up. Also about using Window World. Just getting to old for these projects!
Greg

stevieb wrote:Thank You both for your info. I agree Greg about the 4 seperate windows. And perhaps rethink them opening up. Also about using Window World. Just getting to old for these projects!
Have they closed the lid yet? Then you will know you are too old! I do things just to prove to myself that I still can (my brother will always pull me out if I get in too deep).

Greg