double wide subfloor (center seam) question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tumbleweed

Looking at flooring options on my double wide and I have a question concerning the "marriage" section. Most areas, there is a wall on it so no issue. BUT, In one area of house it is an open area that expands entire width for about 15 feet. (1) IF I remove current subfloor and replace with 3/4 plywood, should I maintain the current separation OR should I proceed as if floor is all one piece and stagger the subfloor seam in this area? I have to remove some subfloor anyways to get into an area to replace under belly I can't access from underneath due to axles in the way. ANd I might just replace the other side while I'm at it. (2) IF i instead lay down 1/4 inch underlayment (staples) on top of current subfloor, I would for sure level this seam out first, as it is currently about 3/8 difference is some areas. And I'm ~thinking~ I should lay underlayment so seams are not on this area? or (3) should I go against all i thought i knew, and make sure the underlayment seams DO in fact match the subfloor marriage seams? seems wrong, but thought i should ask first. ANd in case this detail matters, the joists in this area are two 2x6 butted together with foam between them. Oddly, the original underbelly does not cover underneath this seam either. THANKS to all who post here, this forum has been a life saver the past few months! :)
Greg

If it were me I would maintain the availability to allow the home to be moved. If you replace the subfloor and eliminate the marriage line you may run into problems down the road.
I would go with a quality floating laminate floor, You an easily pull the floor up should you ever need to.
You may want to check the home with a water level to make sure it is level before you start.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
tumbleweed

thanks for the response! The possible problems down the road from eliminating the marriage line; are these problems relating to moving the home or other type issues? I'd definitely like to avoid "other type issues" I might be setting myself up for? The home has been sitting 35 years and seriously doubt it will ever be moved, at least not by me :) You suggest laminate; I'm seriously considering the MODIN vinyl planks. Mainly because all i've read about the damage liquid can do to laminate and the slippery when wet thing too. (gonna use sheet vinyl in kitchen and main entryway) I suppose laminate would be more forgiving of a less than flat floor (long as it's level) due to underlayment and significantly thicker product? A softer feel too I guess compared to the vinyl. Who would you propose produces a "quality laminate"? I've only been researching vinyl planks a few months now, and one thing i know for certain; they are constantly and rapidly coming up with new and improved products. Traffic Master (ULTRA) is now up to 10mm wear surface, although Modin is 30 and 40mm wear surface. Maybe I should learn more about the laminates too?
Greg

I am sure that improvements have been made in the 10 yrs since I bought the laminate that I used. Do some research. I have Armstrong in the Kitchen, Bathroom and by the front door. I have not had any water issues so far, but spills get wiped up. I went over the vinyl that was down to give the subfloor some protection. If you have pets plan on some throw rugs since it would be a slippery floor for them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."