2.4 /12 pitch

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Eastbob1

Looking to replace roof as well since the flood.

House has always had a leaking issue have torch down on front span with front gable and shingles on rear span.

Was looking into a metal roof but see that I would have to go to standing seams.

How does Grace Ice & water shield do under shingles for such a low pitch?

Can I add a roof vent to a doublewide when installing new roof? Cathedrial ceiling in living room dining room both located in center of home. Flat ceiling on both sides of home.
JD
Site Admin

Minimum pitch for shingle warranty is 2.5/12. Would a 2.4/12 be voided? Maybe. No big loss though. The warranty is for defects in manufacturing, which will be highly unlikely. 25 yr shingles are not guaranteed for 25 yrs. Got to read the warranty.

Ice & Water shield can be installed instead of roof felt, as it is an underlayment. This is probably recommended for areas that freeze and not a bad idea anywhere. Here in Central California I've cut the roll in half and applied 18 inches on the eve edges and around vents. I will use full width over the ridge cap. Then felt the entire roof.

Roof vents can be used with gable vents in flat ceiling areas but cathedral ceilings would need ridge vents and eve vents. I would opt to use the later for the entire roof.

JMO, YMMV

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Eastbob1

JD wrote:Minimum pitch for shingle warranty is 2.5/12. Would a 2.4/12 be voided? Maybe. No big loss though. The warranty is for defects in manufacturing, which will be highly unlikely. 25 yr shingles are not guaranteed for 25 yrs. Got to read the warranty.

Ice & Water shield can be installed instead of roof felt, as it is an underlayment. This is probably recommended for areas that freeze and not a bad idea anywhere. Here in Central California I've cut the roll in half and applied 18 inches on the eve edges and around vents. I will use full width over the ridge cap. Then felt the entire roof.

Roof vents can be used with gable vents in flat ceiling areas but cathedral ceilings would need ridge vents and eve vents. I would opt to use the later for the entire roof.

JMO, YMMV

JD
So are you saying that Ice & water underlayment would be my best option to stop the leaky leak?

What would you recommend for the two valley's where the gable meets the roof?

As for the vents...I can't place eve vents to help with the cathedral area of the ceiling. So how do we go about a ridge vent at the peak of the marrage wall?