Pics uploaded; New Subfloor, Lots of Gaps=Problem?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Holegrain

I can't figure out how to post pictures, but the tongue & groove isn't all "tongue&grooving" as expected. Are the small gaps and spaces here & there a problem or is that kind of normal? Bottom will be very well sealed, and husband plans on using self leveling before we have vinyl sheet laid down. Some spaces are through to the other side though, can we shove something in there and then use the self leveling stuff?
Last edited by Holegrain on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holegrain

Forgot to add we had to fire our handyman, so we're currently diy-ing with a couple of helping hands. But handyman wasn't doing any better than us that's for sure
Greg

As long as you are using leveling compound you should be fine.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Holegrain

Thanks, that's what I was hoping! So gaps that I can see ground through can be stuffed with something, then leveling over the top of the whole thing?

And does it look weird to have nice vinyl sheet, same pattern, thru the whole house? For example I often see a stone look in the kitchen and wood look in the living room, but our double wide has a huge living room which leads into kitchen, dining, hall, bedrooms...master bedroom on opposite end of house will likely get carpetbag that's it, everything else gets a nice vinyl sheet.

And how do I post pics on here? Lol
Greg

How large are the gaps?

Personally I don't thing the same flooring through the whole home is going to look right, but that's just me.

To post pictures use "post reply" not "quick post". You will see a tab "upload attachment" you can upload the file from there.

Greg
Holegrain

Thanks Greg, going to try upload attachment now so you can see the gaps:
Well never mind, it says all my pictures are too large and I can't figure out how to make them smaller.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Holegrain on Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holegrain

Well I'm really making a mess of these pictures lol
Holegrain

This is just shows around one of the edges, but I guess it doesn't matter about the gap here, the particle board is even further from the wall. This is on the marriage line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I use Picasa for my photos, you can move any pictures into a file and resize them before they go into the file. I use it a lot for stuff I post on craigslist, I can pull right out of the file and they are already resized.

Greg
Holegrain

Here's another room along outside wall. We're on our own now, had to fire handyman, so my husband thinks just using expanding foam is fine here, I'm uncertain though, opinions please?
Last edited by Holegrain on Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

If you can cut a few slivers of plywood and slide them in, I would rather go that way. The gaps are just large enough that I would worry about critters chewing through the foam. Another option may be to use a foam/steel wool combination. Stuff some steel wool in the gap then foam over it. Critters really don't like the taste of steel.

Greg
Holegrain

Thanks Greg, you are right, our critters Seem to love that foam.

The gaps are pretty decent sized to me, def big enough for pests and rodents. If I'm following you, we can just stuff thin strips of ply in those gaps? We'll need to attach them in Most places because there won't be anything to hold them up, the ply floor is of course slightly lower than the bottom of the wall. Can we screw each strip into the rim joist (the piece of wood that the outer walls sit on?) or ?
Greg

I think at this point of the job screwing them would be difficult, how about some Gorilla glue? That stuff expands before it sets up.

Greg
Holegrain

Well, they've already cut out some strips of ply, think at this point they're gonna screw those to the ply subfloor (from underneath) and/or joists, in the areas the gaps are big, like the one pictured above, on the floor/outside walls.
suspiria_2

what is on the outside of that last photo? i mean, why can you see daylight between your wall and floor? does this mean that the house is unsided on that part of the house right now?

are you blocking critters, or weather (air, water)? or both?
1997 12 x 60 single wide, 2bd/2ba, on private land