Replacing Floor Insulation-b/t joists or blanket?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Holegrain

"They" want to do it the easy way & put the new batt insulation in from the top as they replace the subfloor, which means above all pipes and ducts, and will leave about 1/4" space b/t ins & subfloor. "they" say well, you just can't do the blanket across the bottom, no way to do it. And underbelly will protect pipes from freezing, and dead air space will be b/t underbelly and insulation.

I do not agree. We live in SE TX and our unprotected pipes certainly have & do freeze. Not the house though, because they've always been inside the insulation. I don't believe the underbelly material will provide insuLtion to keep pipes from freezing. And condensation from the ducts or etc...ugh I'm getting disgusted here!
Greg

The ducts & plumbing should be on the warm side so they are protected. The insulation should be UNDER them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Holegrain

I agree. I was told today that their plan is to wrap all the pipes under the house in insulation. And the belly material will run under all that. I just think it's a really bad idea, even though we don't live in a colder climate, some of our unprotected pipes definitely freeze (pool pump, outdoor faucets, even the water pump in the pump house sometimes freezes up. Never had frozen pipes under the house before. probably will now. Belly material isn't going to insulate anything down there.
Holegrain

Interesting update: discovered that our ins co may exclude or deny coverage for damages related to a "non-standard" installation of the floor insulation, as this could cause condensation to form in undesirable areas, and the ductwork radiates some amount of heat in the winter which helps the cold floors as well as pipes. I won, it's being installed as it should.