Insulating water filter?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

buckmaster27012

Got a water filter under the house and looking for ideas on how to keep it from freezing. Last it busted and dont want to have to deal with that again at 17 degrees. I've got heat tape on all the pipes but putting it on the filter doesnt work very good. Anybody with any suggestions on what can be done to prevent freezing?

Thanks
Craigrrr

When I lived in cold country in an RV we placed foam insulation in a cardboard box then placed the filter in that and then wrapped the box with more insulation. The filter was good no problems
HouseMedic

Make an insulated box around the whole filter area and then put in a socket and leave a light bulb on all winter, the heat from the light bulb is enough to keep you from freezing.

Ron
Markfothebeast

Is this a whole home water filter on the main or just on the cold side? If the main enters the water heater closet I'd just plumb it in to there.
buckmaster27012

This is a whole house filter, under the house on the main line coming into the house. Would wood be the best product to make a box out of? I thought about a little strip heater of some sort with theromostat rather than a light bulb because its not the easiest thing to get to and dont't want to have to worry about bulb blowing. Just having problem finding something like this online. We have them at work but cant order from there or any of their suppliers.
Markfothebeast

A wood box sounds good to me. I'd use plywood with cheap 1x2 furring for framing, spray foam around the inside, stuff it with fiberglass batting, and mount if over the unit with a removable lid. Or even line the box with heat tape.

I would have thought there was an insulated water filter out there but surprisingly I could not find anything online. How about a Kickstarter campaign?? Haha