Skylight repair/replace?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

AbbottsManor

Hi,
I have a 1990 Fleetwood with a typical plastic bubble type skylight in the master bath. It is leaking and getting worse. There is no rhyme or reason to when it leaks but I thing there has to be wind from a certain direction. No one wants to touch it, the man that reroofed the house 10 years ago wants nothing to do with it. Is it possible to replace it with a commercially available skylight or should I look for someone to remove it and roof over it?

Thanks,

Chris
JD
Site Admin

Whether you replace the skylight or roof over the hole is up to you. I don't know which would be cheaper, if done properly. If you are roofing over, I would replace the sheathing where the hole is, which would require replacing more shingles. When installing a skylight, a leak free installation is all about the flashing installed around the skylight. Buying a quality skylight generally ensures quality flashing. A good flashing will shed water naturally and not be dependent on caulking. It is best to incorporate a roofing underlayment. Here is a good example. https://youtu.be/8xcxQ5Xxiyo On mobile homes, I also like to use underlayment like Grace Ice & Water Shield, GAF Weatherguard under all skylights, all vents, ridge cap and eve edges. In this case, the skylight. Also, if your shingles are more than 60% worn, you might want to consider reroofing at least that entire side of the home.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.