new roof ideas

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

pinkelephants

My 1987 m/h has a metal roof that is not leaking,no problems
But I want to know if an edpm or TPO roof would make a difference in the way it conducts sound-specifically bass sounds
my neighbors with shingle roofs(stick built houses) don't get the same sound conductivity that ai do
thoughts,ideas,anything will be appreciated
Greg

Roof coating MAY help some, But I doubt you would hear enough difference to make it worth while. I think your neighbors have the advantage of wood sheathing & asphalt roofing to help absorb the sound. You may also have differences in wall materials as well.

Bass sound waves are one of the hardest to stop. You can google "sound proofing" for some ideas also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
yakima4$

They can install foam under the TPO/EPDM which helps.
TPO/EPDM does deaden some of the noise.
JD
Site Admin

As a mobile home repair pro and a bass player, I will say you have no hope. Bass frequency will travel through roofs, floors, walls, windows, period. A Single-ply rubber (TPO, PVC, etc) will reduce the noise, if you use a dense and thick insulation panel like poly-iso, 2" minimum. I would also set the panels tight and use a quality tape on the panels. Heavy flashing tape would probably work well. You want to be sure that the substrate is firm. Many metal roofs are pretty flimsy when you walk on them. If you add a 3/8" cdx ply to this roof, it will help a lot. On an '87 mobile home, it is possible that there is plywood between the trusses and metal roof, in which case you are probably good to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.