" J " Channel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

diyoldtimer

What is the purpose of the " J " channel? Does the " J " channel act as an additional gutter on the roof line? Does it need to be cleaned? Specifically, how many layers of roof coating should be enough until it needs to be recoated? I'm in the midst of R/R on the roof and want to make sure that I have my 'ducks' in order.
Appreciate your feedback, Oldtimer
Greg

There are a few types of "J channels". Can you post a picture?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
diyoldtimer

I appreciate your interest in the post however, I am not confident in my skill level to produce such an effort. When I speak about a " J " channel its from this perspective. The roof rolls down the side in a waterfall type manner over the edge. It falls about an inch and a half into a channel. This channel is of micro macro style in that it is only an eight of an inch deep and appears to be nothing more than a channel to run the water alongside the edge of the roof onto the ground below. I believe the overflow of rain from the channel which is right above and inside of the gutter would reach the gutter and take care of the overflow.
I apologize for the detail. Its the only way I know to describe the channel in a way that you would understand.
Hope that helps, oldtimer
diyoldtimer

Greg,
The best I can do is send you a cut and paste picture/a link and see if you get an idea of what I'm taking about. Hope this works. Thanks Man, oldtimer

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M8f ... =0&p=0&r=0