Cement Fountain

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

0914161626.jpg
Hi All,

I'm repairing a cement (very heavy) fountain. The bowl is 42 inches around. (see picture) In the middle of the bowl is a hole, it's supposed to be there. I put a piece of pvc pipe in the hole, for changing the pump whenever it breaks.
I need to cement around the pvc pipe, to hold it in place and then refinish the inside of the bowl.
I bought 10lbs of quikrete hydraulic cement. It comes in a tub but it's a powder that requires mixing. Brain surgery would be easier than following the instructions for mixing this stuff up.
Looking on line, I see DAP makes premixed vinyl cement patch.

Questions: 1. would you mix up the quikrete or return it and get the DAP stuff.

2. When I did this interior refinishing of the bowl last time I used those spakle knives and they left lines in the finish (you can see the lines at 1 o'clock in the picture). What kind of tool should I use to apply the cement inside the bowl and get a nice smooth finish.

Thanks,
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

If you are just holding the PVC in place and no real structural support, I would try a 2 part Epoxy mix. If you are coating the entire inside of the bowl you can just sand it smooth.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
opinion free

Hey Greg, thanks. Quick question, would you know which kind of 2 part epoxy or a brand name.
Thanks,
Dave