1963 Don-A-Bell Homes Elkhart Ind

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

deryk the gypsy

Hello Folks!

In June I purchased a 50'x9.5' 2 bedroom Don-A-Bell Mobile Home on 1.1 acres in the Pocono's. Was in pretty good shape overall. The inspector told me in its day it was a high quality mh. Anyone familiar with the manufacturer? I did some google searches and didn't really find anything.

I am planning next year to upgrade some windows to sliders so I can add a window ac if it is real muggy.

I have been removing some tree's that were right around it and scrubbed the moss and lichen off the roof...just had a few tree's removed professionally and just rebuilt the rotted deck...lots of projects but it keeps me busy. I wish I lived there, but for now its just a weekend getaway.

deryk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevieb

Can't answer your question. Sorry but its a sweet looking place!
Markfothebeast

I'd like to see more photos. It looks similar to our home. But we have never determined the age. Is your roof original? Perhaps our place did originally have solid trusses.
Greg

I was thinking that it may have been a small regional builder, but I just googled it and found one sold in Ohio and one in Arizona so that does not sound like a small local builder.

That is what is know as a pre-HUD home. In the 80's HUD got involved in the Mobile home industry and created "minimum standards" (and paperwork) Many builders simply closed up even though they far exceeded minimum standards. Yours could be one, You could do some investigating and see what you can find.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
deryk the gypsy

Hi,

The roof is not original, it had a flat roof. The prior owner had the pitched roof installed many years back to help shed the snow. It is pretty solid, but new windows and doors would be an improvement, and a neighbor added T1-11 siding and it looks much nicer, more home then mobile home. I might do the same, but this years tax return pays off the tree guy, so it will be a few years to get it all done. Beautiful area with lots of deer, and since no hunting allowed in the community they are pretty tame during the warmer months and come right up for food.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.