Small question about vinyl floor plywood underlayment

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Eugene10

Hi guys! I am trying to replace some vinyl tiles in my mobile home where I live. It is a small area between kitchen and dinning room approx 6x8 feet. It has wooden subfloor underneath and then 2 layers of previous old tiles. First I was thinking about putting new tiles directly to old tiles. But finally I came up with decision to remove both layers of old tiles and put 1/4 plywood underlayment. The only problem I could not find marine grade or waterproof plywood, so I bought usual ones. The question is - what is the best way to make plywood waterproof or waterresistant. I have paint sprayer, but cannot come up with choice of right stain/primer/etc for this application. Thank you in advance!
Greg

Personally I would pull everything up down to the joists and replace it with 3/4" plywood or OSB at the very least. It is easy to run into problems with multi layers of flooring, If one of the layers starts to fall apart the others loose support or can swell and make the floor uneven.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Actually you don't need waterproof underlayment with vinyl tiles. I install tile all the time and if it the peel and stick or VCT tile using mastic I always use 5/32 Luan Plywood. Now a days one side is primed and has a pretty good seal to it. If you are putting down any type of underlayment just make sure you screw or nail it down on 6" to 8" centers.

Ron
Eugene10

Greg wrote:Personally I would pull everything up down to the joists and replace it with 3/4" plywood or OSB at the very least. It is easy to run into problems with multi layers of flooring, If one of the layers starts to fall apart the others loose support or can swell and make the floor uneven.

Greg
Greg - thank you. As I said it is a small area, not a whole floor. The other part of floor is covered with carpet. Also the old wooden floor in absolutely great shape, I see no rot, no signs of water damage, no gaps, no play, nothing, so I guess there is no sense to replace it.
Eugene10

HouseMedic wrote:Actually you don't need waterproof underlayment with vinyl tiles. I install tile all the time and if it the peel and stick or VCT tile using mastic I always use 5/32 Luan Plywood. Now a days one side is primed and has a pretty good seal to it. If you are putting down any type of underlayment just make sure you screw or nail it down on 6" to 8" centers.
Ron
Ron - thank you! I was not very correct about vinyl tiles, actually they are planks from Home Depot. Full name is Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring. If I understand right they require floating installation. Underlayment is not required, but I decided to put it just in case. And because I see the old wooden subfloor is primed with some kind of primer, I think it is good to primer the underpayment also. I see a lot different wood treatment stuff available in stores, but they all marked for outdoor. I already have outdoor deck stain (oil based) and some acrylic primers outdoor and universal indoor outdoor, so probably I can use something of it? And what is better outdoor stain or indoor-outdoor primer? I am planning to attach underlayment to subfloor with staples (big ones 12 or 14 mm).
HouseMedic

Ron - thank you! I was not very correct about vinyl tiles, actually they are planks from Home Depot. Full name is Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring. If I understand right they require floating installation. Underlayment is not required, but I decided to put it just in case. And because I see the old wooden subfloor is primed with some kind of primer, I think it is good to primer the underpayment also. I see a lot different wood treatment stuff available in stores, but they all marked for outdoor. I already have outdoor deck stain (oil based) and some acrylic primers outdoor and universal indoor outdoor, so probably I can use something of it? And what is better outdoor stain or indoor-outdoor primer? I am planning to attach underlayment to subfloor with staples (big ones 12 or 14 mm).
If it is the type that has the overlapping edge it usually does not even need an separate underlayment like the foam stuff. Those planks are indestructible. It seals pretty good and unless you have a flood water will not penetrate it. I have installed it over bare wood and painted wood. Just make sure you don't have any gaps in the seems of the floor below it. If there is any gaps or dings and dents in the subfloor it might radiate through the vinyl and you will see it coming to the top of the vinyl. Use a good floor leveler to patch gaps and dents then just install the planks and you should be good to go.

Ron
HouseMedic

This video shows you the install. When I cut the ends I just use heavy duty scissors I think they are quicker. If you don't want to take off your old trim you can add shoe molding to cover the gap.

https://youtu.be/-eMn9tudOGI

Ron
Eugene10

Ron - thank you! By underlayment I meant plywood underlayment, because it is called that way in Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Underlayment ... /203183010 I already done with the task, it took 2 evenings after work. Finally decided to install as-is, without painting or staining. I hope it will be ok, couple of pictures from the process :)
P1060924_resize_resize.JPG
P1060928_resize_resize.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HouseMedic

Looks nice Eugene, nice work. I see it looks like you had a crown stapler for the luan underlayment. That floor is perfect. You will be fine. That vinyl seals pretty good so you wont have anything to worry about.
Craigrrr

Looks great! gives me some ideas too