Not really a repair issue but a rules issue

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Craigrrr

Are there any codes in Arizona Mesa to be exact that prohibit the cover of a septic tank and it's inspection holes with concrete slab and then building an addition on top of that?

Thanks
Last edited by Craigrrr on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark440

Assuming this is an older septic tank-
If you cover it with a slab - and build on top of it - how do you plan to have access to it when it needs to be serviced? The tanks can go a number of years sometimes - but sooner or later, they fill up with--well, you know. Sooner or later, it will have to emptied.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider it....even if it is one of the new systems.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
HouseMedic

Here in Delaware if you are not going to use the tank anymore it has to be either removed or at least broken up and filled in. If you are still going to use it, it would need access and also still prone to collapse if built on.

Ron
Craigrrr

I am looking at buying a 1998 cavco in an HOA that You OWN the land, no lot rent. So I was told there was a septic , no big deal I thought. IN Arizona the seller has to have the tank inspected and pumped if it has not been pumped within 6 months of selling the property. SO the inspector goes out can not find the tank , the seller says it was inspected and pumped in 2014 but now they say it must be under the arizona room addition SLAB of concrete. They want to start cutting holes in the concrete. I just can not imagine anyone doing this. I also told my realtor there is a flushable transmitter to locate the tank. I am thinking of walking away from the deal, cause it sounds like it might be a problem child later if I want to sell. So I keep asking who pumped it in 2014 no answer, well I did get this reply once " I will ask the listing agent" like she knows lol
Craigrrr

Update, I Just got this from my realtor, he did contact the sellers agent. Here is the response
" Here what the agent sent me. I asked her to have the seller update the SPDS. Let me right away if you want to cancel.

"According to the seller, the septic was emptied in 2014. They cleaned it out through the clean out pipes. They found the side walls by using a camera. My client was not represented and agreed to just have it emptied and call it good. So the concrete was never opened but it was cleaned out. I called ADEQ and title to be sure proper paperwork and certification will be done."
Mark440

If I knew then what I know now - I would NEVER have bought my place. I have spent thousands of dollars fixing the original owners messes, and repairing the problems they caused.

Ultimately, it is your money and your time - and headache.

Note: Somewhere in the property records, that tank had to be 'certified upon its original installation. I know I have a separate document that the county maintains that shows exactly where my tank is located. And while septic tanks aren't major topics of discussion at realtor events - they should at least know who to contact for local gov requirements.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Norm Frechette

if you are nearby why not go to the mesa arizona building inspector department in the town hall and ask them about your situation
Craigrrr

I just canceled the sale of that home due to the fact the seller did not mention the septic was under concrete and a not permitted Arizona Room addition was added.
1987Commodore

Sounds like you made a good decision.
Norm Frechette

smart move. youll find another one
Craigrrr

My wife found a larger and more eclectic one hahaha that is on a public sewer and you own the land.