Wet insulation in underbelly

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Tom-KY

We had AC problems and it looks like the drain got clogged and allowed some water to collect in the under belly in that area. I cut a small slit to let it drain and have a fan in the crawl space door for now. Should that be opened up and replace that insulation or will it dry out?
Greg

At the very least get it dried out to prevent mold. You may end up replacing the insulation in that area as well.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
hunterspark

Tom-KY wrote:We had AC problems and it looks like the drain got clogged and allowed some water to collect in the under belly in that area. I cut a small slit to let it drain and have a fan in the crawl space door for now. Should that be opened up and replace that insulation or will it dry out?
Once you start to tearing at that belly it could turn into a real nightmare. It depends on the age of the mobile and what was used for insulation. Some have blow-in and others fiberglass or foam. Fiberglass is the easiest to replace with. I would cut out the entire damaged section and a little beyond and replace it with new fiberglass insulation then re-seal. The other option is to tear out the entire section from side to side (the underbelly is usually installed in sections and not as a single piece) and replace everything. Just an opinion but I have dealt with this issue a lot in pre 75 models.
Just be the best you can be and the rest will fall into place.
Tom-KY

Greg wrote:At the very least get it dried out to prevent mold. You may end up replacing the insulation in that area as well.

Greg
Got a fan blowing in the crawl space door near it. Will have to check it to see if it dried out. I guess if it feels dry I will leave it.