Front door bound up and dragging floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hotrod53

Guys, I am by no means an expert when it comes to leveling or this type of a problem, so it looking for advice.

My mobile is a 56' single wide and rarely used. I have multiple pillars dug down with 12x12 timbers running front to back in 8 places to provide stability and level? I had this done by a local guy a few years ago, he is a logger and a man of many talents hired by many for this kind of stuff. These timbers could probably only be lifted by a backhoe..lol. Everything was rock steady and level when he was done.... At least at the time and still pretty much now. I adjusted the interior doors after that and most are still good.

When I open my entrance door it drags the carpet hard. When I look at my screen door, there is a 1" gap opposite the hinge side at the top. I have confirmed that this is not a worn hinge issue. It has progressively gotten worse over the last few years. My concern is that my wife or my kids who YANK on that door will break or buckle it.

Is there a rule of thumb on how to adjust this? Obviously leveling is an art form, at least to me anyway. So as an example, as I look at the screen door, the top right being 1" low, is there a common thought on whether i should jack under the left side or the right side of the floor under the door? It appears to me that the doorframe is racked.

My other concern is that I have had pieces of flooring replaced over the years around the edges. I'm hoping that this isn't a sign that the floor went bad under the doorframe, although I sense no soft spot. The camp is in a deep snow area and I have had snow pile up agonist the side and allow moisture to get to the floor even though the floor is 3" above grade.

I'm thinking that I may have to jack up this one spot and install a separate pillar to resolve this, but I open for some expert advice.

Thanks in advance!
Greg

Re leveling is time consuming to do it right. I don't think I would call it an art but it does have to be systematically done.

Make or buy a water level and crawl under it and take your readings. I start in the middle as "zero" and work your way out to the ends. record your +/- readings at each pier. I plotted them on paper and marked the frame with soapstone. If you plot them on paper as a "map" you can see what has to come up or down.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I thought there was supposed to be a stack of blocks on each side of an entry door ..??
Opportunity has a shelf life.
hotrod53

Mark440 wrote:I thought there was supposed to be a stack of blocks on each side of an entry door ..??
I definately don't have that if that is required.