Ceiling joist

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dtp farms

I am new to the forum... so a quick introduction. My name is Chris we have a small 6 acre farm in GA. I am a master electrician and we will be happy to answer questions I can. To my question I have a mobile home a little less than a year old. Through the home I can see all of the ceiling joists. One has already cracked the ceiling above the kitchen which they repaired. What causes this? They just seem to be pusing down on the ceiling. Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
Greg

Here in snow country, snow is the usual cause. Since you shouldn't have that problem I would question the setup of the home ( was it properly leveled?) or transport damage.
I think that if it is a new home I would contact the factory and get their thoughts.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
yakima4$

When you say see the ceiling joist I assume you mean a slight rise every four feet.
They use quick set mud do to production and the gypsum runs parallel with the rafters not perpendicular as site build. If the plant is at a high volume they will try and finish that joint in four hours where as site built may be three days. Depending on the knowledge/skill of the gypsum crew you may get this shadow effect every 4ft.
Regarding a crack full length. Mobile home manufactures now use foam to adhere the gypsum to the rafters. If they missed a joint then this could occur and they will go back and add screws.
As far as resolving the shadow/joint every 4ft. They would need to scrape down these joints and do a better job of feathering in the joint.
If it is not every 4ft but 2ft or 16 O.C I would assume there is something wrong with the rafters.
yakima4$

Let me add that the rafter jig may be off or the camber of the rafters may be off.
You may want to contact your State SAA. They handle consumer complaints on MFG homes.
HouseMedic

How wide is the home? Did they put center pairs running down underneath?
Sounds like the set up might not of have been done right to me. Does it sag any in the middle?

Ron