Does ANYONE stand by their flooring in a mobile?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Telkwa

We visited several local flooring outlets, looking for something that'll go directly over the single-layer mushboard in our 16 y.o. double-wide. This is in a part of the country with a fair amount of mobile homes.

Not one salesperson could answer our questions about what works in a mobile. It seemed like LVT was popular. Some Googling also indicated LVT for mobiles.

We finally went with Armstrong Luxe Plank Fas-Tak. It was more of a guess than a reasoned conclusion. After purchasing, I contacted Armstrong directly, asking about ideas for the marriage line. They couldn't offer any suggestions because they don't recommend the product on single-layer OSB/chipboard/etc.

So, to my question - does anyone back their product in a single-layer OSB/chipboard install? I'm beginning to suspect that the only way to meet manufacturer's recommendations in a mobile is to install more plywood over the original floor...
Greg

It would be more work, but if you do have particle board subfloors do yourself a favor and replace it with plywood BEFORE you have a problem. Just adding plywood over it can create more problems if you have a water problem down the road. What would happen is the particle board turns to mush and falls out from under the plywood leaving a void with no support for the plywood.

As far a manufacturers standing behind their products, as long as it is installed per their instructions and there is no specific exclusion for manufactured homes you should be able to claim warranty if needed.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."