New old home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Cajun One

I just bought a 1972 single wide the title has KEY as the manufacture that is in very good shape, its located in IL about 50 miles south of Chicago in a 55+ park. I never owned or lived in a mobile home before and have a few question before the move, which will be the end of July. It is all electric and has baseboard heat in most of the rooms, so the questions I have is are the waterlines insulated and have heat tape. I have not look at the underbelly as of yet. It has been winterized before the home was vacant and has been vacant for about a year now as the owner has been in poor health and moved to SC with family members. The other question is the water heater is in the outside closet that has a bad door and the floor looks to be bowed, can I repair the floor under the HW heater and close up the door opening and build a doorway inside to have access to the WH??? Thank you all for any help or advise you can share.... :?: :?: :?: :?:
Greg

Your home is what is known as a pre HUD. HUD got involved in the Mobile home industry and set federal standards. Many manufactures simply closed up rather than deal with them, yours may be one. Some far exceeded the standards, others were far under the standards.

Most mobiles run plumbing near the heat ducts to keep them from freezing, but it sounds like yours may have been removed. You will need to figure a way to address that. The service line from the ground to the underbelly should have heat tape & insulation. the skirting needs to be fully in place with no gaps or holes.

Outside access water heaters usually were Gas heaters. I guess you could change things around if you want. Replace the floor section and avoid problems down the road.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Cajun One

Do you have any advise on which how can I address that, I dont know if someone removed the furnance or it was all ways baseboard heat, the home might have been total electric????? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Greg

If I had to bet, I would guess someone pulled the furnace and converted to baseboard. But you have to remember that you have a 44 yr.old home so unless you could find someone that was into mobiles from that era we are just guessing.
If you get under it and can see into the belly, there may be ducts if they didn't remove them. I think I would go with a good insulated skirting system, contact Mark (site owner) at the site's store 605-229-2627. He set his up in South Dakota and claims it has never gotten below freezing under his.

Greg
Cajun One

Thanks Greg there is duct work under there because it has central A/C. I dont know if they made all electric homes back then but there is no closet for the furnace unless it was under the home. I will have to get my old body under there and look see when we get up there to do some work before we move in. Thanks again
Greg

The furnace area could have been turned into a closet, pantry or just removed. It should have been somewhere near the center of the home like the end of the hall or in the kitchen.

Greg
Norm Frechette

i was wondering the same thing about my house

my hot water heater is behind a wall in my bedroom closet. i have to remove wire shelving so i can access the panel to get in the heater area but if they had put a doorway opposite my washer/dryer area access would be even better