Pricing a mobile home for sale

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ponch37300

Is there a "blue book" for these things? We may be moving due to wife's job, trying to run all the numbers and see if it works out in our benefit or not. If we do our MH would have to go up for sale. Since there aren't a lot of comps like when you sell a house it's hard to figure out a price. Ours is a 2000 3 bedrooms with 2 baths. The kitchen is completely redone and bathrooms have been redone besides the tubs. It's one of the nicer homes I've seen with actual 2x6 walls and double pane windows and standard exterior doors instead of MH doors. Almost all the electrical has been upgraded to real plugs and switches and all new light fixtures. Carpet has been replaced in most of it. Would probably sell all appliances with it but not sure yet. All appliances are newer and nicer quality. It would also come with a shed and smaller deck on one side and a cement and paver on the other side with lots of landscaping and flowers. The lot is leased but all that work we did will come with the trailer for whoever buys it. I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what it might be worth so we can start running the numbers and if the move makes sense.

If we do move we are going to look into buying a house. Only problem is that houses are about double the price as they are around here. I like our MH and it's paid for so no house payment is nice. Will have to run all the numbers and see where things fall. So any advice on how to get a ballpark price of your home? I realize location and many other things play a part but I don't even know where to start. There have been a couple sold in the park in the last few years. Only 2 "nicer" ones, the rest were older and in not so great condition. So can't really compare it to anything. Thanks
m5online

A first step you could try is using zillow.com. You can filter out by property type (which includes mobile homes), as well as recently sold by as little as 1 month to 3 years. It's not going to be 100% accurate, but it's a start. I'd also look at your property tax assessments and that will give you at least a starting point. You can spend a few hundred and get it appraised, but honestly, the price range on mobile homes is wild in my experience. Good luck!
Greg

Well Scott since you are in a park it's going to be like selling a used car. The quality of the park is going to be a major factor as well. There may be price guides but they are totally unrealistic for the sellers when you factor in YOUR time and work invested. Hopefully you can find a buyer that understands the price when you factor that in.
Start a little high with your price, it's easier to go down in price than up.
Where are you looking to move to?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."