Window and Door replacement advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

peace4q1

hello!

1. Where should I look to find a window that is a side to side glass slider type (with a screen) to install into a space when a wall a/c unit is removed? I have gone to the home improvement centers in the area and the RO of the window is too small & I am unable to find a window that will fit even going thru a special order: 12" height and 19.5" wide with no jam.

2. I also have an entry door with a storm that I would like to upgrade to one that is energy efficient and I have been advised that I need a whole door assembly with 2 separate doors: entry and storm. The entry door RO is 34.25"/76" and a jam = 3.5" and the storm = 32"/75".
Again, I have gone to the locals and unable to purchase in my area. Where do I go? What places or door manufacturers do you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kathy
HouseMedic

Not sure what you can do for the window other then make it a little bigger. As for the door with that RO you need a 32" door and if you can take out one of the 2x4s that are for the header you can get a 76" high door, so it would be a 32 x 76 door. This is a stock made size but you still might have to special order it. As for the jam do you have drywall on the inside? If so and you have 2x4 wall then you most likely could use the standard 4 5/8 jam. The rough size of the 32" door would be close to 34" x 77 1/4" but you can get the exact measurements and see what they would be. Usually the stated RO's are at least an inch larger then the actual frame so it is easy to get it squared up.

Ron
Norm Frechette

google "shed windows"