Automatic vents

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

its a ritz-craft

In my internet wanderings I came across automatic skirting vents - http://buymbs.com/c-195-foundation-vents.aspx.

Our home is on a foundation with concrete slab. There are several manual vents installed at various places around the perimeter with the side under the front porch completely open (no wall, I can touch the porch decking from underneath).

Since the front is open:
  • a; is there any need to adjust the vents throughout the year?
  • b; were they installed maybe just to comply with some code/law?
Greg

Mark has them in the site's store, check the "Books & Parts" section of the site.
As for no front wall under the porch it's anyone's guess.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

So you are saying that you only have three walls for your foundation? If so I don't see any need for any vents. What holds up the edge of the house where the deck is?

Ron
its a ritz-craft

HouseMedic wrote:What holds up the edge of the house where the deck is?

Ron
The same type of concrete block piers which support all the inner areas.
yakima4$

There should be a wall separating the main house from the deck area. Usually nothing more than pressure treated plywood. Keeps mice, bugs what ever from having easy access.
If you have access to the set up manual it will spell it out.
its a ritz-craft

There is no wall. See attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HouseMedic

its a ritz-craft wrote:
HouseMedic wrote:What holds up the edge of the house where the deck is?

Ron
The same type of concrete block piers which support all the inner areas.
OK, I did not know it was on piers.

Ron
yakima4$

If you cannot install the ext grade plywood as a wall I would install a wall of black visqeen on a frame. If you live in a colder climate this would help keep the underside warmer and reduce utility bill in winter. Plus as mentioned keep out bugs, mice, snakes all manor of unwanted animals.
its a ritz-craft

yakima4$ wrote:If you cannot install the ext grade plywood as a wall I would install a wall of black visqeen on a frame. If you live in a colder climate this would help keep the underside warmer and reduce utility bill in winter. Plus as mentioned keep out bugs, mice, snakes all manor of unwanted animals.
Plywood would be difficult as the only access is a hatch in the garage (unless I pull the decking off the porch and that ain't gonna happen!). The underside is well insulated but I do like the idea of hanging a sheet of poly to close off the outside. It sounds like it would keep the crawlspace warmer. I suppose if I did that I would then need to operate the vents manually. As far as vermin, the only creepy crawlies down there are the spiders - there's no access for other critters.
yakima4$

Would not worry to much about vents on that end unless you have observed a moisture problem.
Most homes have a belly band/trim strip at the foundation that is not air tight which equates to more ventilation to the underneath of the home than is calced out by size of skirting/foundation vents. If you go to sell or refi and the home inspector says there is not enough ventilation, then remove the visqueen wall you hung up.