Need help with a leak

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Pugsley_

I have a leak in my bathroom, I believe it's under the tub. The picture shows where the lines/drains are, in blue. I have water seeping through the floor, represented by the blue spray. The home is an '86 Fleetwood, with PB water lines.

Any thoughts on the seepage? I'm thinking the lines must be resting on the floor under the tub. Do you suppose there's water in the underbelly?

I'd appreciate some help forming a plan. It seems like it should be simple enough. I assume I need to go through the underbelly, remove the leaking lines and replace with PEX and Sharkbite. (After shutting off the water of course) Am I missing anything?

Oh, I'd also like to replace the PB in the future, so any thoughts on work I should do while I'm down there to help with that would be good as well.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

You are really not going to like this but... The first thing you want to do is take a very close look at the tub, usually around the drain. Look for any signs of cracking, it is very common in plastic tubs.
Some tubs have front panels that you can remove (with some work) to get a look under the tub to check for any water line leaks. If the subfloor is soaked, plan on removing the tub and replacing the floor with PLYWOOD. If you have a particle board subfloor very common in homes that age, water turns it to mushboard.
Any you look at it, water leaks in mobiles are usually not good.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Pugsley_

Well, you're right about me not liking it, but it could be worse, right? The tub does have one (probably poorly)repaired crack. There does not appear to be any sort of panel on the tub, it's a seamless piece of plastic.

Job number has to be stopping the leak as fast as I can, correct? I guess I need to get the tub up like in the tub replacement article?
Greg

You will need to get a look at just how bad things are, and go from there. I always plan for the worst. If the tub has a crack, here is your excuse for a bathroom remodel. If you do some shopping and planning you can save some money.

You mentioned shark bite fittings, if you are replacing with PEX buy the crimp tool and do it right. The crimper & PEX fittings will cost less than the shark bite fittings.

Greg
Steve-WA

Yep, it's that crack. With plastic and fiberglas tubs, there's a Styrofoam platform glues to the bottom. Ratty rats get in there and chew it away, then standing in the tub cracks it. Bondo will not hold; I rent and Lonnie Deal MHs, and I will use a metal tub as replacement now, every time. In my area, HD stocks 54" metal tubs, or you could order one elsewhere.
Pugsley_

I haven't used this bath for several days now, the seepage has not lessened and someone with better ears says they hear dripping. I'm back to thinking it's the supply lines.

As far as replacing the tub, I don't get any real use out of it, it's just too small. Anyone ever made a tile enclosure?
Greg

You can pull it and install a shower. there are lots of shower options available at home stores.
There could also be a leak on the supply side, but I would say the crack is the main problem. You will still need to open things up and get a good look at what is going on and the extent of the damage.

Greg
1987Commodore

You probably have a leak in the supply. I went in to the bedroom the other day and stepped on wet carpet. One of the pb fittings for the tub supply inside the wall had cracked. It was a pain to get to, but easy to fix with pb to pex transition fittings, new shutoff valves, and flex supply lines to the faucet. Do yourself a favor and get a crimp tool and a few fittings to keep on hand. Pex is very easy to work with.
I have never had a problem with the pb pipe itself, but if the fittings are under any kind of stress, they will break sooner or later.
The handiest thing I ever did was to have a whole house water shutoff installed inside, so I don't have to crawl underneath to the shut off in an emergency.
HouseMedic

I would almost bet it is a bad PB line. Especially if you don't use that tub much and it is still getting wet.

What is behind the faucet in the tub? Does the wall back to another room that you could maybe cut a hole to get access? They make plastic access panels you can put in after you make a hole but get the panel first so you know what size hole to cut.

Ron