Walling in Exterior Door / Vapor Barrier question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

brianginaz

Hi Guys,

I have a 92 double wide Palm Harbor home. I plan on removing an exterior door that leads into one of the bedrooms and framing it in, siding it etc..

1) My first question is should I expect there to be a tar felt used for a vapor barrier or perhaps a Tyvek type synthetic wrap?

2) In the event there is a tar paper vapor barrier I was thinking over the process for adding tar paper to where the door previously was: If I simply tack up a few sheets of tar paper, overlapping as you do when roofing, should I add some additional strips going vertically along the sides to seal that part in and one additional across the top (just like flashing a window from what I understand) and if so, what would I used to make the tar paper adhere on these sealed edges? I would imagine using tar would emit fumes inside the house.

3) The exterior siding for my home is a T1-11 OSB Style 4X8 sheet. The trim boards used appears to be the same material (but a little thicker) so I can't use a traditional 1X trim board when I replace a few of these because they won't match up. Question is: can I simply rip some material from a sheet of T1-11 to use as trim material or is something else preferred? I would imagine I would need to seal the edges if I go this route and was wondering if just simply painting would suffice?

Thanks!

-Brian

PICTURES BELOW:

TRIM MATERIAL LOOKS TO BE SAME MATERIAL AS SHEETING. CAN STOCK SHEETS BE RIPPED TO REPLACE DAMAGED TRIM?
Greg

You may or may not find ANY vapor barrier. The best choice would be Tyvec.

You may have problems matching the existing siding, you could take some from the back or end that would not show if needed.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

There might be paper under the T-111. See if you can check under a piece that is up there now and use the same thing.
Actually it is for moister to run down if it gets behind the T-111. The vapor barrier is on the heated side so you should have either the paper on the insulation you use in the inside facing in or cover the insulation with plastic before you put up drywall or paneling inside.

The trim board can be still available. By the looks of it it is a 1x and it comes with the grain in it like that. It might be primed grey. I think Lowe's has it.

Ron