roofing question..

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I have a 2000 oakwood double wide with shingled roof. I am thinking about doing a new METAL roof. Several people in my area have put new metal roofs on their double wides and when they did it, they did away with the roof vents and just laid metal over the holes. Is it ok to do that? Wont it cause moisture issues in the attic if you do away with the vents? My soffits are vented but i would think since the factory also put in roof vents that it needs them???
Zarembad

You should not cover the roof vents unless you put in a ridge vent instead.
mopower440

Dang. All the metal roofers around here just do away with the damn roof vents alltogether like i was saying. Guess im stuck with going back with shingles again..
Steve-WA

Nah, I bet those metal roofers are putting in a ridge vent. I I just had the exact same thing done this last weekend.

1: strip roof to bare wood, replace any bad sheathing. Keep old, or install new drip edge.
2: install underlayment - tar paper is ok, or a synthetic like Gatorskin - right over old vent holes.
3: run a circular saw down the length of each side of the marriage beam, widening about 1" on each side for ventilation. Remove the inch of cut out sheathing pieces.
4: tack fiberglass window screen material over the ridge opening as a bug shield
5: install panels right over old vent holes. Probably want to use foam bottom closures under each panel at gutter edge as bug guard. New vent caps and boots will still need to be custom fit, screwed & caulked over fan and plumbing vents.
6: install eave trim; then, using foam top closures, install ridge cap.

Ta-daa. Now you have ridge vent, and fewer penetrations.
mopower440

wait a minute....maybe those roof vents im talking about are the bathroom fan vents..not attic vents..i will have to look. I know they are metal..
yakima4$

If they are covering over the bath fan vents and the whole house vent they will have roof rot eventually.
Then when the insurance company comes out to settle claim of sagging rafters they will be denied plus for not obtaining a permit.
Use 1/4 inch screen under ridge vent. No more no less stops-- bugs and will always breathe.
Some of these ridge vents use a cloth that will plug over time.
Any bugs or bees that may get in will dye from the heat.
mopower440

Now, the only vents in my roof besides the perforated soffit vents are the bathroom fan vents. So if I do a metal roof, why do I have to add the ridge vent as long as I still have the soffit vents and that's all it came with from the factory...?
Greg

You need ventilation, both roof and bathroom vents. Simply extend the vent pipes and add ridge vents, not much extra work but it something you need to do to prevent problems down the road.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mopower440

Greg wrote:You need ventilation, both roof and bathroom vents. Simply extend the vent pipes and add ridge vents, not much extra work but it something you need to do to prevent problems down the road.

Greg
Greg, why wouldnt they have these from the factory? As i said, as far as attic venting, all it has, from the factory, is vented soffits. The other vents are the bathroom fan vents..
mopower440

???
yakima4$

Who ever is inspecting at the MFG apparently was not looking. The shingle MFG, HUD, IBC, IRC all mandate ventilation. Some of these plants are inspected by third party firms. Who ever gives the MFG the lowest price and is a kinder/ gentler inspector usually gets the work.
Should have been caught at the plant, really shortens the life of the shingles and makes roof cavity a lot hotter during the summer. Are you the original owner?
yakima4$

Oakwood is out of business/ filed for bankruptcy years ago. That's odd isn't it!!!
mopower440

yakima4$ wrote:Who ever is inspecting at the MFG apparently was not looking. The shingle MFG, HUD, IBC, IRC all mandate ventilation. Some of these plants are inspected by third party firms. Who ever gives the MFG the lowest price and is a kinder/ gentler inspector usually gets the work.
Should have been caught at the plant, really shortens the life of the shingles and makes roof cavity a lot hotter during the summer. Are you the original owner?
Yes I bought it brand new and had it put on my lot. They went out of business because they also financed their own homes and lost their butts. Most other double wides with shingle roofs around here also only have soffit vents for the attic also, so where would these vents supposed to be on a shingled roof double wide?
Greg

Greg[/quote]
Greg, why wouldnt they have these from the factory? As i said, as far as attic venting, all it has, from the factory, is vented soffits. The other vents are the bathroom fan vents..[/quote]

On paper soffet vents work, you have (again on paper) air flow from one side to the other. Now if you take into consideration the blockage from the marriage joints the theory goes out the window.

I would question if the lack of ridge vents falls on the installer since they would of had to join the two halves.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mopower440

Greg wrote:Greg
Greg, why wouldnt they have these from the factory? As i said, as far as attic venting, all it has, from the factory, is vented soffits. The other vents are the bathroom fan vents..[/quote]

On paper soffet vents work, you have (again on paper) air flow from one side to the other. Now if you take into consideration the blockage from the marriage joints the theory goes out the window.

I would question if the lack of ridge vents falls on the installer since they would of had to join the two halves.

Greg[/quote]

My attic is open all the way through from one side to the other. Ive looked up in there and its open trusses. The marriage line is not sold all the way down. Maybe that's why it has soffit vents only? Possibly? Not arguing, just asking lots of questions to learn..I know when I looked up there, its not dark, plenty of light from the soffit vents im guessing..