Belly Wrap COver Up

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Zarembad

Hello....new here

In the process of purchasing a mobile home on a piece of vacation property. I have a question I could not find an answer to on the forum.......

The mobile home currently is in pretty good shape. underneath, there are some spots where the belly wrap is cut, or staples came out along the side, holes etc. All in all, it is mostly all in tact and in good shape.

Does anyone see anything wrong with insulating where the holes are and just skinning over the existing belly wrap with Tyvek? Rather than ripping off the existing and redoing it completely?
Greg

That would work, just not sure how you would secure the two. If the existing belly is all there and can be pulled together, Mark has belly tape in the site's store.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order2.html#catalog

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Zarembad

I saw the tape...then I have to clean, and heat. My thought was 2x2 with Tyvek stapled and rolled, then screw 2x2 to floor and rim joist
ponch37300

I think it would be easier to got with the flexmend tape. Depending on the size of the holes the 28" wide roll works good. Just bring a spray bottle with some water and soap down there and a rag and cleaning is pretty easy. Then just peel and stick the flexmend and use a hair dryer or heat gun and just heat it up a little. It really isn't too bad of a job.
yakima4$

Visqueen (black plastic) and spray adhesive if the holes are not over 6ft in diameter.
Wipe off area with rag, spray adhesive on patch and existing belly skin, let tack up for about 30 seconds and install.
Zarembad

Have you had good luck with that Yakima? What if it is larger than 6ft?
yakima4$

Have done well with spray adhesive and black visqueen. If hole is larger than 6ft it will work but a two man job. Install insulation if needed and over lap patch onto existing belly skin aprox 1ft let tack up..
Then pull to other side, spray, let tack up and then press onto existing belly material. Wipe off area to be tacked with rag, should be some what clean, does not need to be spotless. This is assuming belly material is the woven plastic. If it is the old fiber board you can staple on the plastic with a hand tacker.
I assume it is warmer than 32 degrees under house.
Zarembad

Thank for the info....

It is the woven belly fabric...like a black tarp
Currently it is much lower than 32 under there :). But I am waiting to do this work until spring
Zarembad

Reviving this thread as I have a new question. I have now purchased the mobile home, and am updating/repairing a number of things on it. The belly is largely in tact with a few larger rips and insulation falling out. Would there be any harm with affixing new insulation to new belly warp and putting the whole mess right over the existing? After all, more insulation is better, right?
Greg

As long as everything is closed up you should be fine.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."