Bath and shower drain

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Locked
Sophie5822
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 8:39 am

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:24 pm

image.jpeg
Shower
image.jpeg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
Can these to drain be changed from inside or wilk I need to go underneath home?
Attachments
image.jpeg
Bath
image.jpeg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 5193 times


User avatar
Greg
Moderator
Posts: 5666
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY
Contact:

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Usually there is a large nut under the tub that holds the drain in place.
usually they look like this. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay- ... /205087800
You will need to check under your home to see if you have access.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

Sophie5822
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 8:39 am

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Thx will peek under tub it's a garden type. These shower is a stand alone molded one would that be the same?

User avatar
Greg
Moderator
Posts: 5666
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY
Contact:

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:24 pm

Some garden tubs have an access side panel that you could remove to get a look. Maybe you can get lucky.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

HouseMedic
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Greg, that is a sink drain. Most tub drains have what is called a shoe under it and if the top is not that corroded or rusted then you can get them loose with this tool.

Ron

This is the shoe.
Image

This is the tool they make two type.
Image

Image


User avatar
Greg
Moderator
Posts: 5666
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY
Contact:

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:58 am

Ron, I don't think I have ever seen an actual tub drain with an overflow in a factory mobile home tub. I suppose it is possible, just saying.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

HouseMedic
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:51 pm

OK Greg, I see the ones you are talking about no. I have not run into one like that for a while now. it seems like even in newer mobiles today they are starting to use the regular type but now I do remember working on some like this before. Some of the newer one still don't have the overflow but they connect right to a vent going straight up. This is the older type and I can see what nut you are talking about..

Ron

Image

ponch37300
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: wisconsin

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:39 am

I've never seen a "normal" tub drain with overflow in a MH. Mine is a 2000 and doesn't have overflow type drains. Maybe on the really new ones they have upgraded to overflow type drains but I haven't seen them. These have to be accessed from underneth the trailer and you have to find the right drain. My local box stores don't sell the right ones. There is one hardware store that has the mini basket strainer type drain, otherwise I try to order online.

HouseMedic
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:15 am

ponch37300 wrote:I've never seen a "normal" tub drain with overflow in a MH. Mine is a 2000 and doesn't have overflow type drains. Maybe on the really new ones they have upgraded to overflow type drains but I haven't seen them. These have to be accessed from underneth the trailer and you have to find the right drain. My local box stores don't sell the right ones. There is one hardware store that has the mini basket strainer type drain, otherwise I try to order online.
I have seen them, Remember yours is 15 years old now. How about size also? Most that I have been seeing are now using 60" instead of the old 54"

Ron

ponch37300
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: wisconsin

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:33 am

HouseMedic wrote:
ponch37300 wrote:I've never seen a "normal" tub drain with overflow in a MH. Mine is a 2000 and doesn't have overflow type drains. Maybe on the really new ones they have upgraded to overflow type drains but I haven't seen them. These have to be accessed from underneth the trailer and you have to find the right drain. My local box stores don't sell the right ones. There is one hardware store that has the mini basket strainer type drain, otherwise I try to order online.
I have seen them, Remember yours is 15 years old now. How about size also? Most that I have been seeing are now using 60" instead of the old 54"

Ron
Yes it is 15 years old but I personally have never seen a normal overflow drain in a MH. I'm not saying they aren't out there but just very very uncommon from what I've seen. Our tub is 60" long with the mini basket strainer type drain with no overflow. Our master tub is a bigger corner sit in style that also doesn't have an overflow type drain.

HouseMedic
Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:30 am

ponch37300 wrote:
HouseMedic wrote:
ponch37300 wrote:I've never seen a "normal" tub drain with overflow in a MH. Mine is a 2000 and doesn't have overflow type drains. Maybe on the really new ones they have upgraded to overflow type drains but I haven't seen them. These have to be accessed from underneth the trailer and you have to find the right drain. My local box stores don't sell the right ones. There is one hardware store that has the mini basket strainer type drain, otherwise I try to order online.
I have seen them, Remember yours is 15 years old now. How about size also? Most that I have been seeing are now using 60" instead of the old 54"

Ron
Yes it is 15 years old but I personally have never seen a normal overflow drain in a MH. I'm not saying they aren't out there but just very very uncommon from what I've seen. Our tub is 60" long with the mini basket strainer type drain with no overflow. Our master tub is a bigger corner sit in style that also doesn't have an overflow type drain.
Ponch, I am not disagreeing with you at all. I know most would have the other strainer type with the nut. I don't work on mobile's everyday so I don't see the majority around here in my area. I have also seen the shoe type without the overflow. The back half connects to the vent pipe going to the roof right behind the tub. Maybe we are starting to see more here on the east coast. I have no idea. I did work on a floor once and the place had 2x8 floor joist so maybe if they are using this size joist they are starting to use the shoe type.

Ron

User avatar
Greg
Moderator
Posts: 5666
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY
Contact:

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:57 pm

I know that when you order a home built there are options for about EVERYTHING. I remember someone here had 2x10 floor joists a few years ago. I would imagine that there are plenty of plumbing upgrades available as well.
I think the problem may be that many homes sold are "stock" models sitting on the dealers lot ordered more for price than features.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

Locked