water pressure?? problems

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mrbb

OK, so I have a hunting camp/mobile home, well/septic
I am at my hunting camp for the holidays
and all last night every 5 minutes or so, I could hear a clicking sound, being cold and raining out
didn't venture under the building to see where

SO< did my best to listen , from under my bathroom sink, I could tell it making a clicking sound, underneath, I gather near my pressure tank

BUT I could also hear water running thru the pipes, SOUNDING like refilling my water heater, could hear water run for about 5-6 seconds then stop
then 5 minutes hear clicking noise, then followed up by more water running

left things go till morning, as water heater is behind a wall, that has to be removed to get to it, was THINKING< maybe water heater or line there had a leak, thus why refilling!

get to water heater and all is well there.

I then decided to turn the well pump off(not sure why I didn;t last night)
and as soon as I do, water in all lines starts to drain ASAP
never used to do this, would have water pressure till pressure tank I gather drained??
pressure tank was replaced last summer, so its New more or less
and then there was a custom built insulated small room built around it, then sealed up , to keep winter at bay!
SO NO easy way to get to it, without some bigger tear down of it!

AFter about 10 minutes with well pump off, I powered it back up

and WOW< ton's of air bubble and pressure coming thru the lines, toilet tank lid was jumping up and down???
lasted for about 1-2 minutes and then all was good again

haven't heard the clicking no more
BUT doubt anything is fixed

what can be wrong here, before I go tearing into something I don't need to??

NOT how I wanted to start the yr off
so any help will be appreciated, as NO plumber will be working tomorrow, , or NOT for normal rates LOL

Thanks in advance!
Greg

If there are no visible leaks I would question the foot valve in the well, but that should not give you air in the system. Things almost point back to the pressure tank or bladder in it. with out getting a look at it we are just guessing.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mrbb

thanks, I am not that handy with plumbing so, I appreciate the suggestion
the time between the clunking has increased, was 5 minutes now its just under 2 minutes
so its getting worse pretty fast I guess

I know in June of 2014 when I had the NEW pressure tank installed, they were telling me I should replace my well pump as it was pushing air every once in a while, NOT bad, but said it SHOULD be replaced.
I am NOT at this place all that often so I left it go

I am wondering IF< it is this well pump and its draining back down the line, IF That is possible, and then firing back up to refill system every time it does drain??

COULD this be a possible deal>

TRYING to wait till Monday to call a plumber, with the holiday and weekend, so not to get killed in OT rates.

and as MY luck runs,m was in the 50's and 60's last two weeks, and NOW is in the mid to low 20's as of last two days , as soon as this started???
and NO warm up in sight, just getting colder, so that isn't going to help matters I gather!!

SO< will HOPE Things make it till Monday and see what the plumber says, IF he can even get here on Monday when I call him !!
Greg

There may be a check valve between the tank & the pump to prevent drain back. the pump should also have a foot valve that does the same thing.
The pump may be going out to lunch also so that will need to be checked.

Greg
mrbb

thanks the pump is over 20 yrs old now, so, anything is possible I guess on that end
as for a check valve, I have NO idea if there is or is not one between them
me and pluming work don't go well together, I swear I am cursed with trying to do water work repairs, nothing ever works out even simple things, my friends tell me I am jinxed

so, I called the plumber today and left a message to call me back
he installed the pressure tank in June of 2014, so, hoping he can get here on Monday

I doubt any more damage can happen if I leave things as they are till then??
or can it??

and thanks for the fast replys and help
much appreciated
ponch37300

Sounds like a check valve isn't working. The check valve(back flow valve) is a one way valve that only lets water flow in one direction. so it allows flow from the pump but then when the pump is shut off it prevents all the water in the lines from draining back down into the well. It sounds like your water is draining back out. That is why the pump comes back on every couple minutes and you hear water running. Also why you had air in the lines. When water drains out of the lines it is replaced by air and then when you start the pump back up it has to purge all that air.
mrbb

thanks again
do you's think I should be shutting off Power to my pumpo when NOT in use, so all this on and off doesn't kill it
as my plumber has not yet even called me back, and Monday is 2 days away,a nd running on and off every 1 and 1/2 minutes cannot be good I would think???

OR just let it go as is till then,
I am staying at the place and temps are in the mid 20's
so NOT running water every now and then, isn't the best idea either here>?
thanks again
Greg

If you can easily shut it off, It cant hurt plus you will save on the electrical bill.

Greg
mrbb

I can just trip the fuse to OFF on the well pump, and then water heater
but with the back draining and temps in the low 20's to single digits at night
keeping water in the pipes I wonder if its a better idea than having empty one's??
one of them NOT sure what';s better option here
I hate having the pump run every 2 minutes 24/7
but also scared of ice in pipes???

plus staying at the place now too, so, washing hands and or bathroom, will need water off and on???
OH well thanks again
HOPE maybe to hear from plumber soon,
did call his 24 hr number, but 2 days now and NO reply??
never easy
and seems like a lousy start to 2016 for me LOL
mrbb

well just a follow up here
Plumber still hasn;t come here yet, he's been in the hospital, and just got out today
we both kind of agreed to try and wait till Wed or Thursday, as weather should warm up above freezing that day
he thinks BOTH check valves are bad
, but won't know till he gets where and we pull the well pump he said?

told him if were pulling the well pump, we are replacing it with a new one,a s I don't know HOW old it is, and all this ON and OFF"s cannot be good for it

SO< HOPING Wed it warms up and can get things resolved
will up date on WHAT was bad once I know more too
HouseMedic

I would think the same thing about the check valves. I take it that this is a submersible pump? If it keeps clicking on and off then it is loosing pressure somewhere, either in the expansion tank or in the whole line like would happen with a bad check valve. I also agree if it is 20 years old it is worth changing it out while you are at it. Especially if it is on a solid pipe. When they install them now around here they now use the poly pipe connected to the submersed pump. Much easier to pull out the next time. Good luck and let us know when you find the problem.

Ron
mrbb

will do and yes its a submersible pump down any where from 600-750 ft

when I had the pressure tank installed in June of 2014
when plumber was testing pressure, he noticed s Little drop now and then
and we talked about pulling it then, but as in life, had a ton of things going on and gave it the OK, will see if it gets worse and
then planned to change in warmer weather, and just never got there
so guessing it was going south then and just didn't notice the small changes???

but yes if were pulling it out, I ain't sticking a unknown age one, that after all this NON stop on/.off's
cannot be good for long life after this weeks of it doing so!!

and then should be problem free for a long time I HOPE LOL
HouseMedic

600 to 700ft.? Man that is deep. Around here if you have one more then 250 to 300ft. they call it an Artisan Well and say you will never run out of water. 600 to 700 ft. is a lot of pressure on that pump and check valve so I am surprised it lasted this long.

Ron
ponch37300

Sounds like you're in for a fun day. Hopefully the pump pulls out easy. Glad to hear your plumber is better and will be able to take care of you this week.
mrbb

talked this morning and he's still under the weather some
BUT he say's Thursday about 10 am we will start, , allowing some time to warm up in the AM, (and try and get to feeling better as well)should be in Mid 30's and sunny
so the weatherman says LOL

so, will have an update after that, how all goes as smooth as possible
but ain't counting on that HAHA!