Pipe problem? Please help.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cat_mobile

A few days ago there was a weird noise in the middle of the night that sounded like something happening to a metal pipes that run underneath our house. It was cold outside, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It sounded like a "gooong" sound that came from one end of our house and we've never heard that sound before....and now I'm worried if something has gone bad with the pipes.

I've also noticed recently that the bathtub drain from the same end of the house has been smelling funky (like musty, slightly rotten egg-ish), but only once in a while when hot water is used. Our bathroom is clean and our water never smelled like this in the past 10 years we lived here, so I know that's not the problem. It just smells like it's coming from the drain and even the siding of the tub. (I should also note here that I've always suspected there might be a mold problem I can't see going on underneath the tub that can only be figured if the tub is taken out and replaced...I've just been scared to check)

Could these two be related? Is there something wrong with the water pipes? How can we know for sure?

I should also note here that I've noticed in the past few years an increased amount of "rickity" pipe noises whenever the toilet on the other end of the house is flushed.

I'm pretty sure we have the heating tape on for the water pipes.

Any guesses as to what could be going on?
Greg

The information you are giving is a little thin, Heat tape depends on where you live. If You are in a colder region than you should have heat tape. Depending on the age of your home you could have different types of pipes from copper tube, Iron pipes, CPVC, Gray plastic or PEX or a combination of any of them.
What you need to do is get under there (or have someone) and get a good look at what is going on.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

How old is the home, what model is it, what part of the country do you live in, do you know if anyone has ever done any work on the plumbing...answers to these questions would give us a few good reference points.
Thanks!

UmpJJ
1987Commodore

Last time I had a gong sound was when an improperly installed block in a support column shattered.
mobile_home_dude

mobile_home_dude here

Based on the information about the smell and the rickity noise when a toilet is flushed, I would also have someone check to see if there is a problem with your main drain (sewer) pipe. Maybe it has a crack or is broken where it comes from the bottom of the home and goes into the drain pipe in the ground.
cat_mobile

The house is about 10 years old. I live in a northern state, so it gets quite cold here.
Thank you so much for all the info.
Greg

Check back in with us to let us know what you find.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

First thing to rule out is a gas line. A gong sound and then smelling rotten eggs could mean a gas leak. They put stuff in the gas to smell like rotten eggs so leaks are easily detectable. Most likely isn't a gas leak but based on what you have said it's worth looking into first.

After you rule out a gas leak you need to get in there and look at things in order to determine what is going on. Sounds like you have been suspecting a problem and putting it off so now may be the time to dig in and see exactly what is going on.