Quick roof over question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lanceam24

Almost ready to tack my metal roofing down. The book shows the roofing screws through the raised part. I was told the screws go through the flats of the panel. Which way is right?
yakima4$

Always follow MFG specs. If problem occurs, MFG (roofing) rep comes out and inspects and you did not follow install instructions, they have no warranty obligation.
Greg

You screw through the raised rib. Water from the rain is usually not a half inch deep on your roof. Be sure to use roof screws with the gaskets and don't over tighten. You can also use a thin bead of sealer at the seams.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lanceam24

What is the reasoning behind putting them on the ribs? Is it because these will b mostly out of any water on the roof?

I recently acquired a bunch of 1/2" foam for cheap, I laid the foam out and put the furring strips on top and have a lot left over. Is it ok to use the extras BETWEEN the strips? This would help with insulation right?
Greg

Yes, that is why the screws go into the ribs.

Putting foam between the strips WOULD help the insulation, but it may also create a condensation issue since you would have no air space under the roof.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Lanceam24

A lot of the ceiling is still open and I was having horrible condensation issues in the open parts. So bad to where I could see it dripping. It doesn't help that I'm in South Louisiana where it's 70 degrees during the day time and 35 at night. The layer of insulation I put up under the furring helped quite a bit