Skylight leaking

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Koda1969

Hello everyone! I have a 1990 Sterling and a few weeks ago, realized that the skylight in the master bath was leaking (the one in the kitchen and second bath leaks as well). In the case of the master bath, though, the ceiling is peeling away, and now, chunks are falling off and the drip is coming from the ceiling (kitchen and other bath aren't like that yet).

I know that the factory installed skylights are horrible. But, my question..is there anything I can do in the meantime to path/stop the leaking? (and eventual damage). I can't afford a contractor or a new roof just yet, and truth is, the roof is in good shape at this point, just the skylight leaks.

So, I'm hoping there is some sort of do-it-yourself solution for the time being so that we can save for the eventual new roof (and then we will just get rid of the skylights entirely).

We are in Michigan, so we get lots of snow. The ceiling issue actually became dire after a snow storm last week. That's when the chunks started coming off the ceiling, and the leak became more prominent.

Thanks in advance!!
yakima4$

Calls for the Hurricane Katrina act.
Plastic/tarp from peak to below skylight.
Mark440

Check the skylight from the outside for cracks in the plastic. The plastic gets brittle after years in the sun. Mine had a small 'chunk' (about half the size of a pencil) knocked out of it right near a top corner and right at the shingle line.

FWIW - when I had my place re-roofed - that skylight went bye-bye. They took it out, put decking down, and roofed right over it. End of problem.
Opportunity has a shelf life.