Kitchen sink/dishwasher drainage problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

caligirl

Hello!

I have been an avid reader of this board for quite some time, and now I have a problem of my own that I would like to share. If anybody has any input, I would very much appreciate it. I am just an ordinary homeowner (a woman at that) with no home repair experience whatsoever, so I'm really just looking for an explanation of what might be causing my problem, not necessarily step-by-step instructions of how I can fix it (unless, of course, it's a simple solution). I have a handyman who does all my repairs, but I know his expertise is regular homes, not mobile homes. With mobile homes being a little different, I would like to get the opinions of the mobile home experts on this board before I approach my handyman. And who knows, maybe it turns out there's a simple solution to my problem that even a home repair novice like me could manage to handle :D

My kitchen has a double sink, one of which has a garbage disposal. For the last week or so, when my dishwasher drains, the non-garbage-disposal sink makes gurgling sounds and then the water that drains out of the dishwasher backs up and starts coming up both sink holes. The water then drains slowly. Sometime during this whole process, water also comes out of the check vent under the sink. Not a horrendous amount, but enough for me to find a small puddle inside the cabinet.

My question is, how can I determine if maybe a clogged check vent is causing this? If it's not the check vent, what else could be causing this to happen?

I'm attaching a picture of the inside of my cabinet. My kitchen was completely remodeled (including dishwasher, garbage disposal, sink itself, etc.) earlier this year, so what you see in the picture is not the original plumbing but the after-remodel plumbing. Maybe some of the plumbing wasn't installed correctly for a mobile home and that's what's causing the problem?

If it matters, my home is a 2001 Fleetwood Suncrest, and I'm hooked up to a public sewer system, not to a septic tank. My dishwasher does not have an air gap, but I do have a high drain loop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Do the simple things first. Take the traps apart first and make sure they are not plugged up. Put a bucket under them and remove the two "winged" nuts. There may be a plastic ring that seals it so don't loose it. There will be water and who knows what the the bottom so make sure there is a pan or bucket to catch it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Sounds like you just have a partially clogged drain. Do what Greg said above and if that does not help have either you handyman or a plumber snake the drain. I would think if it is backing up out of the vent then it is most likely clogged down past the trap.

Ron
Greg

If you have a plunger, you may be able to clear it that way also.

Greg
ponch37300

To check the air gap just unscrew it, if it drains good then it's the air gap. If water comes doesn't drain and comes out the top of the air gap pipe then the air gap is good and you have a blockage somewhere.
yakima4$

If possible boil about two gallons of water and the immediately dump in kitchen drain. The stoppage is past the traps and in the main line.
The boiling hot water will help clear some of the build up in the line. Garbage disposals are a big contributor to stoppages at kitchen sink drain lines.
Plus your drain line in the belly or under the house may have reverse slope.
If you can, pull the auto vent off below the kitchen sing and snake a garden hose in as far as you can and try flushing the waste line.
caligirl

Thank you, guys, for all your responses. I had tried the boiling water and it fixed the problem, but now, a few months later, the problem is back. I will try all the other solutions you guys suggested.

Thank you very much!! I really love this board. Everybody is so helpful!
yakima4$

Time for Roto Rooter.
They should run snake down at location where auto vent is attached. You can be running hot water as line is being cleaned as long as he leaves traps attached. Make sure tech does not damage threads at FIP adapter that auto vent screws into. You probably have a slight grease/food stuff build up. Have him inspect under house to check for reverse slope on kitchen drain line (if visible).
Greg

I would still pull the trap and check that first, it doesn't take much to slow them down.

Greg