Sewer Smell in Bathroom

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I recently had to update a small bathroom due to a toilet leak. Had to tear out the floor and replace it, the vanity, and the toilet. I had the plumber replace the toilet and the flange. I am now smelling a sewer smell in that bathroom. I have been looking under the trailer, over and over gain to see if there is a leak in the sewer pipe. Nothing. I can not figure out where the hell the smell is coming from. I am at a loss, but the smell is there. Any ideas?
Greg

It could be a vent leaking. Many homes use a checkball type under the sink.
If that is not the source, I would have the plumber come back and re check what he did.

Greg.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
terrifromohio

Greg,

Thanks, I think you were right on. It was the check vent under the sink I do believe. I called the plumber and talked to him about it and he said to go to Lowe`s and pick one up. I went ahead and replaced all of them, 4 sinks. They were all original 1989 so at some point I would be having the same problem again. Hope this takes care of the problem since we are getting into winter, I sure do not want to smell sewer in the house.

Terri
Greg

I would bet they were the original vents so I don't think you have to worry too much right away.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Norm Frechette

i have had the smell from time to time so i just run the water in the sink and tub to put water back in the traps. no more smell

cheap solution