cheapo skirting insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

newtothis

Hi -- first, thanks for the forum and advice! We are just about to finish purchasing a 1984 Imperial 14x70 -- it will be more of a storage and business space than a home, but it would still be nice to have it not be freezing cold in southeastern Pennsylvania winters. Replacing the broken oil furnace (we'll switch to propane) is step one, but I would love to add some insulation, too. That furnace is going to use all our money, though.

The home has old vinyl skirting and a belly that needs repairs, and after reading things here I'll put the time in to repair the belly insulation and tighten up the existing skirting. I know skirting venting is a vexed issue, but from what I glean here, it seems as if for our climate some kind of windbreak during the winter helps with warmth, and that it's best to take it away in the spring for summer ventilation.

The material that I have for free is old books with no literary value (don't ask). What do you all think of the idea of using them -- wrapped in plastic and sealed -- behind the vinyl skirting as insulation? I'd make "blocks" similar in size to cinderblocks so that they were relatively easy to move (or just tip over under the house) for the summer, and do all the installation/removal from the outside rather than from underneath.

So, am I insane? Is it worth the effort, do you think?

Thanks for your advice to a complete mobile-home newbie!
Steve-WA

Sounds like too much work. I'd just use foam board
Arlo

Wrapped or not old books are extremely prone to mold and mildew. The next owner of your place will think you were a crazy book hoarder. Use foam sheets as poster above recommends. I've run across good deals on sheet foam on Craigslist. Use the search feature. I've cut 2" thick foam with a plain handsaw. It's very easy. I'm an old lady.