Any ideas how to fix this wood rot on a 2000 Breckenridge

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

technoz1

Purchased a 2000 Damon Breckenridge park home couple months back and noticed some fresh paint on the ceiling. Sure enough on the first big rain saw water stains on ceiling argh..Any how I ripped off the factory installed certainteed shingles and ice & water off roof an noticed the guys didn't put the i&w up to the drip edge and failure resulted. Once i&w was removed wood rot was present on (7) osb boards. I replaced all the boards and installed new drip edge along with GAF i&w and 30 year shingles. Once this was done noticed near bay window some water stains, I ripped it apart and noticed wood root on floor joists and 2x4's underneath bay windows. Any ideas how to fix this? Is it easy to remove the vinyl siding without breaking?? Youtube Videos Below

https://youtu.be/oe0y7UxWZ7g

https://youtu.be/o-AzC2B2Ibo
Greg

Siding is not hard as long as it's warm. You may want a removal (unlocking) tool for a few bucks to make it easier. Once you get things opened up you will have a better idea of what you will need to do. It looks like you may need to replace a section of the rim joist. that is time consuming but not too hard to do.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
technoz1

Thanks Greg I did a little more digging today and looks like the windows themselves are leaking. Do you think I can repair these, replacement of seals or do they need to be replaced? Finding it hard to get replacement bay windows locally at menards or home depot.

Last edited by technoz1 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg

I doubt that it is an actual Bay window, I think if you pull the inside wall you will find two double hung windows framed to look like a bay window. I think I would two quality windows and reframe the wall to fit the new windows.

Greg
technoz1

Your right they are separate windows, the 2 side windows are only 15 inches wide not much room to work with arghh..
1987Commodore

Don't overlook the possibility that the leak is above the windows. You have that flat roof over the windows, and all that fancy trim work looks like it is just begging for water intrusion.
If the flashing was not done properly, that could be the issue.
HouseMedic

I would also guess the flat roof is the problem. While you are fixing it just put a slight peeked or slopped roof on it. Check it out real good to make sure you find out were the water came in.

Ron
technoz1

Updated pic underneath the roof cap it was dry no rot or water stains on top only at window sill and below. I am tempted to put one new american craftsman 28x54 series 70 from HD window in center. And leave out the 2 sides and frame up nicely and cover with double dutch lap and reuse roof cap. Id like to do 3 windows but no one has em only 15 inches wide. What do you guys think?

Steve-WA

I'd take the whole Bay out, frame a new big window in flat.
Greg

As long as you are in this deep, it is no trick to reframe to any size that you need or can find. You should be able to find two casement windows about that size.

Greg
1987Commodore

It doesn't look like the problem was with the windows themselves, but rather improper flashing. Note that the window framing is fine, the problem looks to have come from leakage in the corners between the windows. Look how that piece of vertical trim ends just before the bottom of the window. I see that there was a piece of horizontal trim there, which likely trapped rain water and guided it into the trim. That area appears to be where the issues start. You could re use the original windows, if they were not damaged in removal. There is self adhesive flashing designed for windows, and I would even use ice and water shield for roofing to totally seal the bay area, starting from the top.
technoz1

Thanks Commodore it was indeed the lousy flashing that did the bay framing in. I have completely rebuilt it, for sheathing used the dow quarter inch foamboard, with tyvek paper ontop, along with tyvek flashing throughout. For the window sill I used some 9 inch flex tape from menards. Also used killz along areas that might be prone to moisture just in case. Only question I have is one the last 2 pics below what can i use between vertical lap and that horizontal flat vinyl piece?

Steve-WA

Yeesh - piece of leftover vinyl? Wood trim? Lots a caulk is my vote
Greg

Bend a piece of flashing for the bottom, and foam under the top.

Greg
HouseMedic

I would replace the pieces of siding to make it all one piece from top to bottom by making a new piece starting over and under the window and cut out and leave the part between the windows intact. It looks like your windows even have a built in J-Channel. If you can't find replacement siding then I would make a piece out of aluminum to fit in between the windows from top to bottom and use a small bead of silicon along with windows edge to hold it in.

Ron