Clayton doublewide - roof sagging/installed wrong

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TheStitchWitch

I bought my home new from Clayton in 2008. We are having a new roof put on right now due to constant problems with it. The roofer has informed us that there is a 6 inch gap along the midline that he thinks is from the ground shifting.

My husband just called someone about re leveling the house and before he told them what was going on, the leveling guy guessed it was a Clayton home and could even tell him where the problem was (center line in living room).

According to the re-level guy, Clayton's installers always rush and don't install the home correctly and they probably left out some bolts. Has anyone heard of this before or experienced the same?

The leveling guy is coming out this afternoon to give us an estimate.
Greg

It sounds like the guy has some experience. I would make sure the home is properly re leveled with a water level before work is done.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TheStitchWitch

So it turns out my house is sitting perfectly level. The gentleman who came out to give me a quote looked at it and said it was indeed installed wrong and its the weight of the front porch alcove that is pulling my roof apart at the marriage line. I am beyond pissed at Clayton homes.

The local manager from the dealer we bought it from has hung up on us twice after stating that we only had a one year warranty. I have called the corporate office and they have opened a claim for me but I won't hear from anyone for at least 3-5 days.

While I wait on someone to call me back about what they are going to do to fix my house, I am filing a complaint with the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs - Manufactured Home Division.
cajunla83

6 inches of separation???

That's crazy

You must have all kinds of separation issues on the ceiling

I had a similar issue but I was only an inch off at an end.
TheStitchWitch

Yeah, its pretty bad. If I can figure out how to post photos from my phone, I will. The ceiling has always looked like something was wrong but every time we pointed it out we were told, "oh that is just from the house settling, its normal".

Once the old shingles came off and work started on the new roof, the ceiling damage opened up quite a bit and I can see the insulation between the drywall and decking.
cajunla83

Definitely want to see those pics.

I use a photobucket.com as my image hoster.

Were you have problems with cooling/heating efficiency?
Mold?

What's the fix?

I would imagine since the floors are level the roof has just settled into that opened position.
Probably jack up the side get the roof to meet. Bolt them together tight
Then let the sides back down a little at a time.