Roof Ventilation Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

A little over a year ago I had a roof over built directly onto my mobile home. The contractor did not account for all boots and I eventually realized that I do not have ventilation going from my bathroom fan to outside. Normally I would be content with letting it vent between the two roofs. However, I have fiberglass insulation between the two roofs and it doesn't have a path. Is this fixable and how feasible is it? Can the metal panel be removed to allow access to the fan? If so, would it be able to be taken off and replaced without causing any additional problems? Or could I measure approximately where the hole needs to be and use some sort of saw to cut a hole there? My heart sank when I realized that it has been like that for over a year. This means that the moisture was going straight into the fiberglass insulation. Maybe I'm worried about nothing but I hope that this can be fixed and that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Also the inside fan is very close to the center of the vaulted ceiling so I'm wondering if perhaps the ridge cap can be removed and I can get to it that way. I don't know what to do so I hope you guys have some advice.
Steve-WA

Maybe call the contractor on it.
Greg

I would call the contractor and have him take care of his mistake. It is common sense to extend the vents through the new roof.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rockncountry101

I doubt that I'll be able to get him back out here. He's always got an excuse every time as to why he can't come. So I will more than likely have to hire another contractor to fix the problem and I want to be a little knowledgeable about the process.
Steve-WA

Small claims will get his attention
Norm Frechette

wouldnt thee have been a building inspection from your local building inspector?
rockncountry101

Norm - No, not that I'm aware of. I see them put up all the time and I have never seen an inspector. Though that is the norm when electricity and plumbing is installed for the first time.