What type of saw would you use?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Hi All,

I've spent 3 hours, outside in 119 degree heat, sawing wood. Let me expand, cutting 1/4 the way through a 6 x 6 wood post. Not fun. The issue is the type of saw I'm using. It's a nice hand saw I got at the 99cent store. I've gone through 3 of them. I know out there, a better saw must exist.
What kind of saw should I be using? Hand, electric, reciprocating, Japanese style double-edge saw, ...
I'm turning the old awning support beams into chairs. It will be real pretty when done, if I can get the correct saw required to cut each beam into 3 segments.

Thanks.
Greg

Since I used to own a saw sharpening shop I will tell you up front that you get what you pay for. A dollar saw simply does not have quality steel that will hold an edge.

I would go with a reciprocating saw (saws all) but again, don't cheap out with the blades.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Norm Frechette

opinion free

Thanks for the suggestions.
As much as I don't like using a circular saw, I'm going to go that way. The 3 day sale at HF starts tomorrow and they have one on sale. CHEAP! It doesn't come with a blade and the kids that work there are more concerned with posting selfies then knowing the products they sell.

I'm cutting 6 x 6 beams. I need the cuts to be as nice as possible. I'm converting the beams into outdoor chairs. What kind of blade should I get to cut the beams up with?
Thanks.
Greg

24 tooth carbide crosscut. The more teeth, the finer the cut.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

A regular 7 1/4" circular saw will not be able to get all the way thru a 6x6 even with cutting on all four sides. You will have to complete it with either a saws all or hand saw.

Ron
Arlo

^^ He's right. You have to keep turning the post and then finish off the center a bit with a handsaw or recip saw. If it's pressure treated get a fresh blade for PT wood. It makes a huge difference.