Renovation materials and weight

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

concretegardenstx

Hi guys, appreciate any insight you have. I have 1995 Palm Harbor doublewide. We're looking at doing some remodeling, but I wasn't sure if there are limitations. I do plan on going through all of the projects that have been posted here to get info. But one of the things I would like to do is replace the carpeting. I can get a good deal on ceramic tile, but I was told by someone else that the house cannot handle the weight of ceramic tile throughout. I wasn't sure if this was actually true or not. Also, my sinks in the bathroom are plastic, and I'd like to replace that as well, an maybe one day the garden tub, or put in a larger walk in shower. Are these plastic pieces put in because of weight or because of cost?

Thanks!
Greg

Weight usually only becomes an issue when it's on the roof. If you look at how the home is designed you will see that the roof is supported the the outside walls, they in turn are actually supported by the floor joists.

Tile floors often don't work well in mobiles because the homes are designed to allow for movement. If you are in a cold region and not on a below the frost line foundation the frost will move the home. So, if you are in a warm area year round, you may be OK'

As for sinks & tubs it is a cost issue. Many here have upgraded with no problems.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."