Window A/C unit and water

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

astegall1978

I have a 16x80 metal on metal mobile home, every summer i put a window unit in to help easy the strain on the central unit. Two years ago the sheet rock under the window was soaking wet and beside the window, I just figured that the screens on each side just had let in water cause we had a wet summer and last yr I moved it to the dinning room window and put a towel under it in the window seal and gorilla taped the hell out of the sides and top of the unit outside so it would help with any water maybe coming in that way and drilled a few more holes in the bottom of the unit for drainage, but still was soaking wet but not to the point it damaged the dry wall. And it is doing it again this yr. I have no clue what to do or where to start. Please any information what to do or try? Thank you.
Greg

I would almost have to guess that the damage is due to rain water getting through or around the unit and not condensation from the unit. Is the unit tipped slightly so any rain runs away from the window? You can also try putting foam rubber between the unit & window frames.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
astegall1978

Yeah its tipped as much as the window will let me. I have that black insulation that u buy just to put beside the window units and some under it as well. Then it's taped outside across the top and sides to help prevent rain water from coming in.
cajunla83

While it's running look at it from the outside and try to see any water running off the unit into the house.

Get a friend to spray some water above the unit as if it was rain and try to see from the inside if any water is getting in.

Basically you are just going to have to look till you find it.
Norm Frechette

while its running look outside to see if there's any condensation water draining from it. maybe the drain holes are plugged up?