Keeping old siding- let the sunshine in?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

GraceNC

I've decided to keep the 'look' and keep my siding the way it is.

This is from the '60s, metal pieces placed together- some screws. When inside the home and gutted to the studs, even remove insulation.....
I can see the siding from the inside and there are lots of spots where sunshine comes in. I'd like to seal up all the holes.

First, is is 'not sealed' and siding seated in places for condensation purposes? Is it supposed to be airy?

Second, if I can seal- what should I use? Great Stuff? Silicone? Any suggestions? I'd be sealing it from the inside before I put up insulation.

Thanks guys!

These pictures were used in another post but you can seee the metal siding I'm talking about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve-WA

I don't believe Great Stuff is waterproof; dab of paintable caulk on the hole
steelworkersgal

Great Stuff has waterproof sealant available. Menards carries it and i would assume so would home depot and lowes
You can do anything if you put your mind to
HouseMedic

If you are just looking at sealing the parts that you can see light through I would look for something that you could put on with a glue brush. Maybe even a roof sealant. The when you put in your insulation it should also help with air infiltration. Are you hanging drywall or paneling inside?
If you really want to get it sealed you could have someone come in a spray foam all the wall cavities. That stuff works great but is costly.

Ron
steelworkersgal

The problem we ran into was the wasps, they were going in between the metal, insulation and drywall. When we removed the very thin drywall and insulation we had so many dead spiders, warp nests, dead wasps, Asian beetles, mud dabbers and there nests. Thank goodness when we did this the wasps either were dead or barely moving since it was winter. I was a little worried about sealing the metal up with spray foam where the light came through the bottom of the ridges due to a possible moisture issue. If i would of sealed it and i had a moisture issue then it would pool at the bottom of the metal and framing of the walls with no way to escape, then i would be concerned about rot and rust. If i knew for sure we would not have any possibility of any condensation i would of sealed up the ridges to where no sunlight came through and put good insulation back into the walls. That would of fixed invasion of any insects and drafts of any kind.
You can do anything if you put your mind to