How can I fix a warped/bowing door jamb?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cat_mobile

Hello. Do any of you have experience with fixing a warped/bowing door jamb?

This is for one of the exterior doors. This one leads to the laundry room. We hardly use this door because we literally need to pry it open and shut with a crowbar...but it would be nice if it could be fixed.

The jamb is made of some kind of wood composite material.
I'm guessing it's just warped over time since we do have some cold winters here. It seems like it soaked up some water from melting snow/ice from the bottom and expanded over time

I was told that it's possible to just put a few nail or screw through the jamb as a quick fix. I'm just asking for advice before I do anything though since I am clueless.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Greg

You could try adding a few long screws to it and try to pull it back. A better choice may be to replace it with a new insulated door & jam. See the articles section of the site on how to cut a full size door to fit smaller opening.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

If it is made of a composite board something like particle board the only thing that you can do is to sand or cut it down. Once that wood gets wet it swells up. You can try to scrape it to see if it starts to flake apart, then when you get it where it is not hitting the door coat it with a good coat of paint or shellac.

Ron
cat_mobile

Thanks for the input!