Insulation In walls

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Denise Johnson Emery

With interior walls and old insulation removed, should new insulation be installed with backing facing the interior or exterior? The old insulation backing was facing the exterior and was extremely detiorated. The home is late 70's early 80's construction with corrugated tin siding.

Also looking for inexpensive ceiling coverage alternatives. The existing ceiling planks, which span the width of the home, are damaged and I can't locate a place that sells replacements. I was told sheetrock/drywall is to heavy, but prefer not to use tiles. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks, Denise
JeffInFL

the backing should face the exterior
Greg

I have used 3/8" sheetrock on ceilings with no problem, If you can find any thinner that would be even less weight but may be harder to handle since it may try to fold until you get it screwed in place.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
speedracer0626

Luan works good and you can texture or paint it.
HouseMedic

The paper side of the insulation is suppose to face the inside wall under the drywall NOT the outside.. Always put the vapor barrier on the heated side. The paper is actually a vapor barrier. If you put the paper towards the outside your insulation could end up getting wet from condensation.

Ron
Arlo

Yes paper side in facing living space.

Luan is nice and light as a ceiling and takes paint well. You will need batten strips on the seams. You can also now get 1/2" light weight drywall at Home Depot. It's supposed to be half the weight of the regular stuff.
Steve-WA

Luan over existing bad panels? Or remove old first?
technoz1

Those Lauan 4' x 8' sheets are hard to find home depot/lowes don't carry. Menards has special order but they get you for a $11 extra handling fee with ship to store :(
Greg

Remove the old panels and start fresh.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

technoz1 wrote:Those Lauan 4' x 8' sheets are hard to find home depot/lowes don't carry. Menards has special order but they get you for a $11 extra handling fee with ship to store :(
All Lowes and Home Depot's in my area have the luan in 4x8 sheets. It is really common. I purchase them all the time. Where are you located? Seems odd that they would not stock it.

Ron