Replace floor joists - would you?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

GraceNC

Have an 11x60 from the '60s-

was advised to tear out ALL the frame for the floor because the joists run parallel with the ibeams. Says that they don't build them like that anymore and now they build them with the joists running perpendicular to the ibeams.

Currently the joists run the length of the home and 'slats' run from side to side. They are in good condition except where the tub was.

Would you rip up the floor and replace?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

You are 100% correct, they don't make them that way anymore, but that does not mean you have to change EVERYTHING. It has worked fine for 50 years. I can't believe how clean the frame looks my '92 has more rust than yours.
I would repair what you have, and possibly beef it up a little and leave it as it is.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Agreed. I'd bet a doughnut that you were "advised" by a contractor.
bobfather99

Id keep whats there, and strengthen it up with crossbraces between joists.
Tip your bartender.....
joedirt63

if it ain't broke don't fix it. really i think that's better that cross ways . that floor may not bow as long as the out rigger supports stay in good shape . imagine craftmanship in a mobile. go figure.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
joedirt63

if it ain't broke don't fix it. really i think that's better
that cross ways . that floor may not bow as long as the out rigger supports stay in good shape . imagine craftmanship in a mobile. go figure.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me