fasteners for 1/4" drywall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve S.

OK, I have the typical 1/4" vinyl-clad drywall in my bedroom. I also have built-in face frame cabinets along one wall and those crappy drawers with the center-mount metal tracks. Those tracks are held at the back of the cabinets with a plastic plate which is held to the drywall with just screws. Anyone have any ideas on how best to hold the screws into the drywall without pulling out? I don't know if any of those plastic drywall anchors will fit the 1/4" drywall. If only the stupid builders would have installed some blocking in the wall studs behind the cabinets so you would have something solid to attach the hardware to.
Any ideas, experience would be much appreciated.
Steve
ponch37300

1/4" drywall doesn't give a lot of support as you have found. But the best drywall anchors are one like this, http://www.amazon.com/TOGGLER-SNAPTOGGL ... ler+anchor. Just drill a 1/2" hole and they are easy to install. They are also rated for something like 250 pounds each in 1/2" drywall. Obviously less in 1/4" but they are still the strongest and best anchor I have found.
Steve S.

Thanks for the info. Ponch...I've never seen those type of anchors. The plastic plate I have to mount has multiple small holes(for 6-32 screws) on all four sides. If one or more of the holes breaks loose, of course the plate mount gets weaker until the whole thing fails. If I can adapt just one of those Toggler anchors in the center of the plate, I think that will be more than adequate. The most weight those drawers hold is maybe 20 lbs, so I don't think the plate would ever fail again. I'll check it out. Thanks again!
Greg

Here's a few ideas from Ron Hazelton.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/how ... s_on_walls

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

I agree with the one's ponch stated above. For what you need it should be plenty strong enough, if not you would next need to mount a board from stud to stud and then use regular screws to mount the drawer slide.

Ron
Steve S.

Thanks for the help gentlemen...I like the idea of attaching a piece of wood (1X3) either vertically with those toggle bolts or horizontally between studs, then simply drilling/boring out a hole in the wood to hold the metal drawer track in place...that way I can just throw away those crappy plastic back plates. I never seem to think of this stuff myself...and why I really appreciate this forum :D .