Looking ot add r38 or r30 to attic?anyone foreseen problems?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

aftonarrow

Hi,when it gets warmer here in TN.Im going to tear our 30 year old rolled roof off with overhangs and new metal panels.At that time,im also going to reinsulate the attic/roof cavity with either R30 or R38.Yes it will be expensive but our light bills have been well ungodly.I live in a 14 x 60 Giles metal on metal.Does anyone foresee any problems with doing this?like condensation but i would think this high of a R value in insualtion will preven that as well as any ice damming.i think this will help immensely with heating and cooling.
Greg

You should be OK as long as you remember that you DO need ventilation to prevent condensation.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Like Greg said you need ventilation. The insulation can not touch the bottom of the roof anywhere. Depending on your setup will depend on the best method to vent it. Another option depending on your setup is blown in insulation. I've used it about a dozen times in the past and really like the stuff, especially in attics that aren't disturbed like a MH. It's easy to do, especially if you have the roof torn off. And the box stores will let you use the machine for free if you buy the insulation from them. It has been a good cost effective solution in my experience.

As for the electricity bills you should look at the whole picture. The ceiling insulation will help with heat loss. But unless all your heat loss is at the ceiling you need to look at all losses to get the bill down.