Intalling exterior sconce at front door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

boardcertified

Just finished installing a 36x80 front door and am wanting to install an exterior light as well. The old door took out the space for me to install a new light. I decided to use a light box to install the new light fixture. Since I cannot use the existing light fixture it looks like I am going to pigtail from the existing light to a new box and use the light box as a decorative piece since I will have to remove some of the metal siding. I was told that this is the safest way to accomplish installing a new light to code. Am I on the right track here or do I need a professional?
Comments are appreciated,
Boardcertified
ponch37300

I'm having a hard time picturing what you are saying. Can you post any pictures to help? The easiest way to post a picture is to use a photo site like photobucket.
boardcertified

Since I'm not too familiar with technology I'll restate my post since it seems a bit unclear even as I reread it. I looked again at the front door and realized that even though the the entry light cannot be reinstalled in its original spot it looks like I can add a 2x4 block next to the existing 2x4 and remount the entry light. I can use molly bolts to reattach the light to the light box and still be good according to code. Does that sound a bit clearer. I think I didn't exoress myself clearly. Appreciate the heads up. Does this methd sound better?
Comments appreciated, BC
ponch37300

What kind of box is there now? The light fixture should attach right to the box, so you shouldn't need moly bolts. The fixture needs to be over the box and the wire nuts splicing it to the feed wires need to be in the box. Without a picture it's hard to know what you have right now and be able to tell you the best option.
boardcertified

I understand your point about the box. Since 2x4 should be 16 inches on center and are often not the case in a MH in order to install an exterior light without the 2x4 support would mean that I need to 'float' or dangle the box and attach it with molly bolts to the light box before I attach the light box to the siding. After watching videos about how this could work I talked with a contractor friend about the position of the light as it is and wanting to move it and stay within code he suggested this approach which is entirely code. Is there a better application for a dangling circuit box? I would like to get into the siding and screw a 2x4 block to an exiting 2x3 and call it good. What say you?
ponch37300

I think I understand what you are saying now. They make remodel boxes for situations like this. Here is an example of some, https://www.google.com/search?q=remodel ... CAcQ_AUoAg. They come in round or rectangle and can be bought at any hardware or box store. You can cut a hole in the siding and then feed your wire through the hole and into the box. Stick the box in the hole and then tighten up it's "wings" to clamp the box to the siding. Then hang your light fixture. This will be stronger then molly bolting a box to the siding and probably look better depending on your siding and what not.

Do you have enough of the original wires to get to the new hole location without splicing? And are you able to get the wire to the new location by fishing it inside the wall?
Greg

As far as pig tailing wires, per code connections must be made in a junction box that is accessible, not buried in the wall.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
boardcertified

I went ahead and inserted a 2x4 block next to an existing stud and realized that the sconce would not fit the opening. I inserted another block attached it to the 2x4 block and had enough room to use what metal that I cut to fit the sconce and covered the cut out with the scrap of metal. I didn't have to piggyback any wires and was able to leave the box intact and it looks great. I was able to connect straight forward without having to piggyback any of the wires from the old box to a new one. Since the blocking worked well and the sconce was tightly attached it looks really good. Appreciate the feedback and discussion. Thank you!
UmpJJ

Photo of the finished product so we can all ooh and ah?

UmpJJ
boardcertified

Ump,

Not that tech savy to figure out how to make it work. All I know is diy works!

Boardcertified